It was the first one I came to that started with "L"...and it's a couple years old, so there's a chance that it's new to some of you!
The concept is simple: Participants post five lines/short excerpts from a WIP. The WIP I chose to feature was Second Nature, the sequel to my sure-to-never-be-finished-or-published novel, Effigy. Each excerpt focuses around the WIP's MC, Cate, a tough-talking, wildly sarcastic yet deeply depressed young woman from this time pulled into a parallel universe that just happens to be in the midst of a conflict not her own.
Important things to know: In the second excerpt, Cate is talking to Faolan, a tiny talking pegasus (yes, really). In the fourth excerpt, she's talking to James, the beleaguered leader of the people's rebellion.
1. He asked the question like they were friends or something. Like he'd known her all her life. He had, in fact, known her all her life but he wasn't her friend. If anything, he'd been her mother's friend. Laura had called him Richard. Cate generally called him nothing but, if asked, would have confessed to lately calling him Dick. She was nothing if not spectacularly immature when the opportunity presented itself.
2. "People did this?" she asked, looking over the destruction. "Men did this? I mean, it wasn't something else?"
"Something else?" Faolan asked.
"I don't know. Fire breathing dragon or something?"
"Dragons are myth," Faolan replied.
"Says the pegasus," Cate said.
3. Nothing mattered. Because she was going to die here. Some people would say she was being pessimistic, but she preferred to think of it as realistic. They thought she was the queen. They thought she was a traitor, and the only people who knew otherwise were currently missing in action. So unless a traitor's death in these parts was death by chocolate, she really didn't have much to look forward to.
4. "We've got trouble," she said.
"Trouble?" James echoed.
"Right here in River City."
"Nothing. Look, something's coming," Cate said. "I don't know what the something is exactly, but my spidey sense is tingling in a big ole 'danger is heading right for us' kind of way."
"Your what is doing what?"
5. "Yeah, see, here's the thing," Cate said. "I've been there, done that, and got the tee shirt. I used it to keep my internal organs from becoming external organs, so if it's all the same to you, I think maybe I'll sit this one out."
That's going to do it for me today. Sorry for the rerun, everyone, but I promise I'll be back with new episodes next week. Thanks for coming by, and have a great weekend, all.