Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Endless Edits (an AYWN Update)
I am the only one? Well, all right then. Let's move on...
As it is, unfortunately, the end of the month, it's time to look at the writing goals I set for myself at the start of July and own up to just how much I didn't accomplish my goal.
Here's what I set out to do in July:
1. Complete yet another round of "final edits"
2. Stop frakking things up so I can stop with the rounds of "final edits"
And here's what I actually accomplished in July:
1. Effigy is currently sitting at 535 pages. I have edited approximately 498 of these pages which means I have approximately 37 left to go. I may even finish them by midnight tonight which would mean that, technically, I have, in fact, accomplished this rather important goal, but I highly doubt I'll prove to be that efficient. This is me we're talking about, after all.
2. Well, this goal probably depends upon whom you ask. But to be on the safe side, let's just not ask anyone, okay?
So, overall, maybe it's not that bad. It's not great because it's not done but it's not that bad. It could be a lot worse and, actually, I'm surprised it isn't worse because I know exactly how much time I didn't spend editing this month. And now that I've said that, I am feeling ashamed that I didn't finish.
Must do better.
That said, let's take a look at the goals I'm setting for August:
1. Finish editing those 37 (or so) pages.
2. Get entire manuscript into the hands of a copy editor.
3. Do not go crazy while waiting to hear back from said copy editor.
4. Stop putting off the whole cover artist thing.
One of these days, I swear I'm going to set a goal to sleep twenty hours a day and watch television the other four. But until then, I'll work on these. Hope y'all are doing well. See you next time...