Today I am sad.
Don't worry. I'm not going to get into the hairy details over why I am sad. It's nothing anyone wants to hear about (including me) so I'm going to have a nice internal conversation about it and then move on (or as close as I ever get to moving on). I'm just stating it here and now as a fact, as a way to frame my mood.
Today I am sad.
But I really shouldn't be. Apart from the one sadness making thing, I seem to be doing all right. Here's the positive:
1. The furnace is fixed and the basement floor is completely dry. This means the only thing keeping me from sleeping now is the chronic insomnia. Going out today to track down some Melatonin. It can't hurt to try it, right?
2. I cleaned out the walk-in closet in my house and packed six trash bags full of donations for the local thrift shop which is a HUGE step toward that whole de-clutter goal. Now I just have to remember to put the bags in the car and take them TO the thrift shop. That would be an even bigger step.
3. The Steelers lost to the Broncos last night in a wildly entertaining game (any playoff season that doesn't contain the Colts, the Jets or the Steelers is a good one). Say what you will about Tebow, it's a free country after all but the kid's a wildly entertaining quarterback and I enjoy watching him play. That said, next weekend I hope to watch him lose.
4. My shoulder and...uh, upper thigh bruises from last week have healed. Of course last night I slept with my neck in the wrong position and am now having trouble turning it properly but at least that's not on top of everything else. See, this is why I normally don't sleep...
5. John Green's novel, The Fault In Our Stars, will be released TOMORROW and my copy should be arriving TOMORROW.
6. I made progress, real progress, in my Effigy rewrites. Back in December, I decided I had to introduce a new character to the series because I needed him in Effigy's sequel, Second Nature. The best place to make such an introduction was the very first scene in the first chapter so back to the rewriting board I went. And as rewrites are sometimes wont to do, they snowballed and I've been struggling with the opening chapter since. It's been very discouraging but last night— well, maybe this morning. It was about 1am after all— I think I finished it. I haven't yet looked at it this morning but I went to bed feeling good and optimistic about it. This, I believe, will snowball into other good things. I fully intend to have the first eleven chapters (Effigy is written in three parts. Chapter eleven is the end of that first part) all edited up with a nice neat bow by the end of the week. Which means that next week they can go into the hands of my shiny new betas unless I have since scared the shiny new betas away with my alarming lack of self-confidence.
I guess I'll find out.
Hope everyone out there enjoyed their weekend. See you next time...