Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Big. Week.


I'm back, kids. I'm so sorry for the extended absence. I know y'all have just been beside yourselves with despair and loneliness but it's over now. I had intended to write this post yesterday but some jackwagon somewhere in our internet service provider screwed something up big time and internet service was down for not only the entire state of New Hampshire but Maine and Vermont as well.

I think someone's getting fired.

As it is, not everything is back up today (The Man reports that his office is still living internet free, a problem for a tech company) but I have internet so that's what's really important, right?

Because as I said, it's been a while since I wrote last. If you follow my Tweets or are a Facebook friend, you'll know I had a serious case of Fight Face going on and didn't want to (and couldn't settle down long enough) to spill my bile all over the blogosphere. It was better contained in 140 character chunks. The reasons for this extended Anger Fest are not important to anyone who isn't me so I'm not going to waste time and space writing about it here (a first, I know).

I would, however, like to state here and now that although I wanted to and alluded to the fact that I just might, I did not punch my co-worker in the face. This sounds horrible but really you should understand that if Ghandi worked with this woman, he'd want to punch her in the face too. She just emits this face punching vibe that makes everyone with whom she comes into contact want to punch her in the face. Even customers. So really, the fact that I restrained myself should be celebrated because— let's face it— I'm not Ghandi.

True story.

But anyway, let's move on to the Big. Week. Because I am so freaking excited about this week, I can hardly stand to stand still.

First up, today, being Tuesday, is Book Release Day. And today, being July 12th means that the book so many fantasy fans have been waiting for is finally out:

That's right. After multiple Lucy Van Pelt with a football moments, Geroge R.R. Martin's book, A Dance With Dragons, is finally in stores. Of course, if you happened to order your copy from German Amazon, you might have gotten your book even earlier than the rest of us because someone there frakked up and sent out a few hundred copies early.

Sounds like someone's getting fired.

But I didn't order my book from German Amazon. I ordered mine from regular Amazon and now begins my ritual waiting for the book to arrive period. I didn't bother paying for the good shipping because back at the beginning of the year, I set a stupid ass goal (once again, white wine is an evil, evil thing) to read only books I hadn't read before (there was one exception to this goal, which I'll tell you about in a moment) and I really want to (and need to) re-read the first four books in the series before I read this one. This means I won't be re-reading any books until January which means it won't be until 2012 that I read A Dance With Dragons.

I hate white wine with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

Also in stores today is Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. This is the third book (and possibly final) in her Wolves of Mercy Falls series (Shiver and Linger are the first two). I love this author and I love these books. I'll admit, the first one did capture me right away. There were parts I thought dragged but it was still a good read. The second book, I thought, was very well done. Maggie Stiefvater is such a fantastic writer with a gorgeous style and I really can't wait to read what's going to happen next. Forever will be arriving in the same shipment as A Dance With Dragons. I will be one happy girl when that box shows up.

But really I have to hope that box does not show up until next week because until Friday July 15th has come and gone, I'll be experiencing a specialized kind of tunnel vision that doesn't register anything except for...

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, PART TWO

I bought my tickets for the midnight show a good month ago and right now I am in the process of re-reading the final Harry Potter book (the one exception to my new books rule). I've also been (much to The Man's delight) re-watching all the movies. ABC Family had a Harry Potter weekend where they aired versions reedited to include deleted scenes (I love the one in the first movie where Petunia is cracking eggs and finding only Hogwarts letters) as well as sneak previews of the new movie as well. They did not show all the movies, however, and so I will be watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part One at some point during the next two days.

Of course, I really kind of want to go to the theater now and get in line for a good seat. Well, if you don't hear from me again before the movie comes out, you'll know where to find me...

Today's Harry Potter themed question (should you be brave enough to answer): What would the Mirror of Erised show you?

16 comments:

  1. I don't remember! Crap, if I knew there was going to be a quiz, I would've studied...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting question. I'm a pretty content person, so I might be surprised to find out myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mirror would show me sleeping in... at least today.

    Can't WAIT for Harry Potter - Mike and I are taking our 8 year old who JUST finished the last book and can't wait to go see the movie :D
    Also - the babysitter works at the theater, so we get in FREE :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Internet gone for the whole state of New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont? Get out! I think the mirror would show me something I wouldn't expect it to. Or it could just show me as a published author. That totally works, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl we are getting there at 6am on Thursday, sleeping bags and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seen the cover for A Dance With Dragons, and had to leave a comment! I just got the Kindle version, but won't be reading it for a couple of days as I'm in the middle of a trilogy, damned trilogies! I can't believe you won't be reading it until next year!

    A x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wondering what time you actually have to get to the drive in to see the Deathly Hallows One and Two double feature. I think people might be in line already. If I had an extra car, I'd go park it at the drive in at 4am on Friday. However, the movie release conflicts with the Yarmouth Clam Festival parade, and Jupiter is big into tradition. So I will be attending the Clam Festival Parade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Mirror may shatter from the sheer magnitude of attempting to show me all that I wish I could see. I can't go on opening night, but I'll be with everyone who's going in spirit. My ticket is for Monday, if I don't vibrate right off the edge of the planet in anticipation over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea. I don't think I will see HP here in Mexico but I'm sure everyone will enjoy it. Enjoy your busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so excited for Harry Potter! I'm going to the midnight showing tomorrow night with friends. It's going to be so epic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ME on the NY Times Best Seller List!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm proud of you for not punching the co-worker in her face.

    I still have to read all of George R.R. Martin's books. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mirror would show me in a completely decked out home office with all apple products and probably some huge piles of money :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, this is unoriginal, but I suspect it would show me signing copies of my books for all my adoring fans. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband is still in the mancave from the second GoT books. And there are so many more...I won't see him until you start drinking white wine again. Ha!

    ReplyDelete