Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Plural of Apocalypse


I know you've been waiting with baited breath to find out if I was Raptured (can you use that as a verb?) or whatever because maybe that was the reason behind my extended absence here (well, maybe not extended) but I wasn't. Raptured, that is. I suspect whoever's in charge of judgements took a look at my file and said, "UGH. I cannot even deal with this hot, hot mess."

So the good news is, there's still time for me to finish my novel (wait...that's good news?) because I hear the next apocalypse isn't scheduled until October. Quick Quote Quiz: Which Buffy character said, "Turns out I suddenly find myself needing to know the plural of 'apocalypse.'" You'll be awarded bonus points if you tell me the name. You'll be awarded mega bonus points if you get the character and the season. You'll receive ultra mega bonus points if you name the character, season, correct episode and the situation in which the quote was said.

Never said it would be easy. (Or worth it, I guess, since the bonus points (even the ultra mega bonus points) have no real cash value. Or any cash value.)

Much like writing a novel, right?

I find writing to be like the ocean tide. One minute the tide's in and all's good. You feel good about things. You like what you've written and you like where it's going. You can see a light at the end of the tunnel and you can't wait to get there because it's going to be awesome.

And then the next thing you know, the tide's gone out and taken with it all your hopes and dreams. The words you loved earlier are now crap and the light you thought you saw at the end of that never ending tunnel turned out to belong to a fast moving unstoppable train that just barreled you over on its way to wherever.

In case you were wondering, my tide's currently out. I'm very unhappy about some things. A lot of things, truth be told. But there's nothing to do for it except to wait it out. The tide's bound to come back. It always comes back. Unless it was Raptured.

Damn.

Anyway, to end this post on a happier note, here's one of my current favorite commercials:

8 comments:

  1. I just barely heard of this myself. I look forward to December 2012 when people start freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish the high tide ain't Raptured, 'cause I need it too... LOL. And yeah, I think "Raptured" is definitely a verb. If it wasn't, it is now.
    - EEV

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tide comparison. My tide has been out since before the Rapture, so I'll have to go with it being kidnapped by a Sasquatch or perhaps the more mundane alien abduction.

    Hope your tide comes back in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit I had to look up the answer to your Buffy quiz question, so I won't reveal the answer here. But I should have known and now I feel inferior like that tide and train thingy you said up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tide will return. And that's a great commercial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool post! I think it was Giles, but I can't remember the ep off hand.

    Your tide will comeback stronger than ever and I know you'll make huge, huge progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg I saw that commercial and I was like...I would totally scream like that thinking it was real!

    Stay focused. Read tons...sometimes that helps the tide come back in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Brent, I now feel inferior for not even knowing the right character. Great analogy with the tide, and don't worry; yours will come back in soon enough. And perhaps it's only receded so much because when it returns you'll be hit with a tidal wave of inspiration. Or, you might get hit by that train on its return trip, now carrying its full cargo of awesome sauce. (I'd tell you which one, but I can't predict the future. Not everyone is Harold Camping.)

    ReplyDelete