Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Music To Write By



The Man came home from work the other day and said to me, "there are an awful lot of Amazon charges on the credit card."

This is an absolutely true statement as I maybe do have a major slight addiction to buying books and music from that particular site. So I did the responsible thing.

I blamed the Gator Girl. And then I went and downloaded a Mumford and Sons album.

My downloading habits have been particularly bad of late. I admit to that but all my favorite shows are airing their season finales and that often leads to big emotional punches set to emotional punching music and I am a sucker for that.

I don't know about you but music plays a huge part in my writing. Certain songs really help me frame certain scenes. They help get me in the right frame of mind sometimes. Gavin DeGraw's song Belief turned out to contain the key to my synopsis. I'm also the freak who likes to develop a story specific soundtrack for each WIP. It's how I know I'm really committed to a WIP. A couple of times, (The) Heather has mentioned songs to me saying, "I heard this song and it reminded me of your book." I love it when that happens.

Back in January, Alex J. Cavanaugh hosted a music blogfest where participants listed their top ten favorite songs of all time. (You can read my lists starting HERE) By the time it was all said and done, I ended up posting about forty songs along with a little blurb about why I loved the song. More often than not, my blurbs contained a line saying, "this song belongs to suchandsuch"-- the suchandsuch part being a particular WIP.

A lot of these songs I have found just poking around the Amazon mp3 page but a lot of them I have found through television and, like I said at the start of this post, it's season finale time so the networks are pulling out their big guns. Here are three of my current favorite finds:



Birdy- Skinny Love



This song appeared at the end of the penultimate episode of this season's Vampire Diaries. Yes, I am an unapologetic Vampire Diaries fan. Go ahead and judge me but that show kicked some serious ass this season. And Ian Somerhalder is hot. But enough about Ian's rock hard physique. I'm talking about the music. This song is gorgeous and I love the lyrics so how could I not download it?







Black Lab- This Night



The music genius at House is responsible for this download. Freaking awesome song with freaking awesome lyrics. I know most of you won't know what this means but this is 100% a Dana song.






Peter Gabriel- My Body Is A Cage

Another House song. I don't know who is responsible for selecting the music for that show, but whoever it is really is a genius.




The good news about the downloading deluge is that it's the middle of May and everything will be in reruns soon if they're not there already. The downloading will slow to a trickle until September rolls around. Oh wait...it's Tuesday, isn't it? That means the new Glee downloads (Must have Rolling in the Deep and Jar of Hearts) are available on Amazon.

Looks like the Gator Girl has some downloading to do...

17 comments:

  1. The lure of downloading... ITunes must love me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lure of downloading. Addictive.
    As for music, I need it when I write, but I cannot write to lyrical music- it has to be orchestrated. Film scores are my favorite. I have over 100 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is often my biggest muse. I was in the gym yesterday listening to a new soundtrack on the ipod and totally had a scene flash before my eyes. I could write without music...but with music I just write better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. I love the Peter Gabriel. And HOUSE rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm writing I generally only listen to instrumental music. Anything else is distracting. But I do find a lot of music very inspiring. Queen, in particular, has been speaking to me lately. The song Nevermore is so beautiful and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instrumental music is key. I'm partial to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack(s) myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No need to apologize for being a Vampire Diaries fan. Well, I guess you didn't, did you? I am also obsessed, and I'm sick to death of vampires. Which just goes to show, it's more about the execution of the concept than the concept itself. (I think there's a writing lesson in there somewhere...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gave you a shout out on my blog Miss M.J. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love music too. TV shows often have some really good stuff. Take it easy for a few months because there's bound to be some great stuff in September.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I create sound tracks for my novels too. In fact, it's a great (procrastination tool) way to help me learn about my characters and their stories. I download songs I hear on TV all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some fabulous taste in music :)

    I use music to write all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Kari- procrastination tool...so funny and so true.

    @Jolene- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just today I was thinking about the fact that I like music but I don't really think of myself as a music person. I do find myself identtifying with and needing certain songs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For books, I highly recommend Book Depository ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all awesome songs! I definitely will download them for sure. I like to have John Mayer/Jim Brickman on my pandora when I'm writing--unless it's a particularly hard scene in which case I require absolute silence so I can hear my characters better. :)
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel your pain (and your credit card bill). One click shopping is just TOO EASY :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't do anything without a soundtrack in the background. Who wants to sit at a keyboard and type to the sound of keys clacking away. I'll choose Mumford and Sons over that, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete