Monday, May 2, 2011

Life After A To Z


A lot of people seem to reflecting on the A to Z Challenge today. Apparently, it's another blog hop that I missed out on. Oh well. I wouldn't be me if I wasn't running a day late and a dollar short.

But, to my credit, I completed the A to Z Challenge. And some of my blog posts were even ones I had planned on posting. And for the ones that weren't...well, let's just say if Big had to get sick and had to be diagnosed with something, how lucky I was that he had the foresight to pick a disease that so nicely corresponded with this challenge. Big, by the way, is feeling much much better. The Best Vet In The World said the antibiotics would make it seem like the Hand of God came down and healed my dog and, by gum, he was right. Big's feeling so much better that we're even going to agility class later today.

Because there is life after the A to Z Challenge.

The challenge was great. It really was and if they do it again next year, I'll probably do it again. I came across a lot of fantastic blogs and had awesome conversations with people. I posted a few excerpts of my work and was not met with a deluge of rotten tomatoes (thanks for that, by the way). It was through these blogs and these people and your comments that I was able to work up the nerve to line up a new Critique Partner. This was a HUGE step for me because I'd been living in the land of the 'once bitten, twice shy' for entirely too long. Of course, I had to wait until the challenge wrapped up before I sent off the first group of chapters but I managed to get that done this morning and only hyperventilated a little before and after I hit the 'send' button.

Go me.

So now I'm living in the land of needing distraction. Fortunately, life's handing it to me in spades. Here's a peek at what's going on:

-I'm in trouble at The Store. I was a little mouthy (a shock, I know!) about a promotion they were running. And by 'a little mouthy', I mean I called everyone from the corporate offices down to my boss ridiculous and suggested they get over themselves because The Store is just a store. It did not cure cancer. Those may have been my exact words but no one but my boss and all the other witnesses can prove it. The Store's response was to suggest that I get over myself and that I do so in the privacy of my own home. Needless to say, I have not been offered a plethora of hours of late.

-Vader, somehow, is still with us, wheezing and sneezing her way from one day to the next. If you're unfamiliar with Vader, she's my oldest cat and has been sick for quite some time now. No one's really quite sure what's wrong with her and the meds given to her just seem to make everything worse. So we're going with the wait and see method. She's lacking in bathroom control (farewell, dining room rug) and general mobility. She's taken to now sitting on whatever surface (my dining room table or the dogs' food bin or whatever's handy) and crying until I come and pick her up and carry her over to where she wants to go. The Man has been very good about telling me whenever Vader needs a lift. He refuses to have anything to do with her. Cat bodily functions are where he draws the line.

-I am calling my fence guy. The last of the snow melted over the weekend and the intended fence line has dried out and firmed up enough that both The Man and me think it's time to go ahead and get the fenced installed. As in 'put in the ground' as in I won't have to worry about the neighbor's damn dogs coming over and using my yard as their personal bathroom anymore. Plus, there's that whole thing where I'll be able to send my dogs outside and not necessarily have to go with them. I'm getting a little light headed just thinking about it.

-It's the beginning of May which means that I am supposed to be starting that whole Couch to 5K Challenge. It seemed like such a good idea at the time. But, boy, does it seem stupid now. Who really wants to be able to run a 5K? I mean, what do you gain from that? You know, apart from a sense of accomplishment.

-And last but not least, there's the rest of Second Nature still waiting to be written. I'd really like to be able to finish it by the end of the year. But you know what they say about the best laid plans...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an agility class to attend.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry your kitty is mobility challenged right now. And feel free to add this link to the Reflections blog hop - it qualifies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new CP! :)

    I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

    Good luck with Second Nature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much going on! Congrats on finishing the challenge and good luck with Second Nature. Langley Writes about Writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running a 5K is a huge feeling of accomplishment. Good luck with that!

    And I, too, am sorry about your poor kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, you do have a lot going on. I really hope your kitty gets better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double glad Big is on the mend and really sorry about Vader. Congrats on finishing the challenge and if it makes you feel better I did not add my name either :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing the A-Z!! Feels good doesn't it? and in my case, feels like a huge relief. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes. And although I'm not thrilled about having to carry the poor cat everywhere, I'm just so glad it isn't Big who needs to be carried. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing the challenge. You certainly seem to have a lot going on - and to take on a 5k - WOW!!!
    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finishing the challenge and being one of the many new blogs I discovered. =)

    ReplyDelete