Thursday, May 5, 2011

Developing Developments


Just got off the phone with The Store. Apparently, I have served my time and gotten off the shit list because I am back on the schedule. Either that or they're just really that desperate. Either way, they scheduled me to work during Big's agility class this coming Monday. This doesn't make me wildly happy. Just imagine how unhappy it'll make Big when I have to tell him about how he will not be seeing the object of his affection after all. Fortunately, I'll be at The Store (Wait...I don't think I've ever written that sentence before. I hope to never write it again) and will miss the ensuing temper tantrum.

In other news, I finally got a hold of the Fence Guy after a couple rounds of phone tag. I was thisclose to leaving a message saying, "Look, I know I told you to call me back at your convenience, but what I really meant was 'call me back immediately and if, by some chance, you stumble across a wormhole that would allow you to travel back in time and call me even soon, then jump on in because that's how badly I want you to call me.'" But he called. He's coming out today to measure and estimate the cost of the project. Good news is, the price of the fencing we want has gone up dramatically. If we can no longer afford this project, I really think I might cry. I mean, I know a lack of a fence isn't one of the world's great tragedies (no, that would be this year's American Idol contestants...) and I will most definitely survive. I'll just be majorly disappointed.

Speaking of disappointing, I'm into my first week of the Couch to 5K Challenge and I have to say, I'm not loving it. I'm looking over this plan and I don't see any time devoted to lounging on the couch. With a name like "Couch to 5K", it seems like it should, at some point, involve a couch. I'll tell you what I'm especially not seeing. I'm especially not seeing any block of time devoted to me sitting on a couch eating chocolate chip cookies. What kind of plan is this? I mean, the next thing you know, they'll be asking me to drink protein shakes and eat tofu. White wine is an evil, evil thing that leads to terrible decision making. One über hangover and all of a sudden, I'm all "hey, let's be healthy!" On that note, I have run/walk a total of three miles so far this week. And as soon as I finish this blog post, I am adding to that total.

I'm also adding to my list of Awesome Horoscopes. I received a great one yesterday that I'm going to share with you now. Considering how I just send out the first group of chapters to my Awesome New CP, thus marking the start of the ritual worrying period, I was glad to read this one.

Here's the horoscope:

Your work will be a major source of self esteem. You don't mind knocking yourself out to do a good job today because, in the end, you know it will matter. It will be nice to hear the pleased comments.

This is going to be my last post until probably next week. We're hosting a party here at Casa Crazy this weekend as The Heather is taking her newly earned degree and abandoning me (some nonsense about true love or whatever) to move on to start the next chapter of her life... I am, of course, just giving you a hard time, The Heather. You know I'm head over heels happy for you. So much so that I'm actually going to clean this house. Starting just as soon as I get back from Day Three of the No Couch Required Couch to 5K plan.

Enjoy the rest of your week, everyone. See you next time...

12 comments:

  1. I've played phone tag like that before. I'll have to remember your suggested message next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, love the section on running. When I started a friend told me I would HATE it the first month, but stick to it and I'd love it. Well, it took a year and a 1/2 marathon before I learned to love it.

    I still don't enjoy all of the run, but after 3 years, there are parts that I love. The best being the feeling I have at the end. When I sit down on the couch. :)

    Really though, I miss it when life gets too crazy for me to get out on the road. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the running. Allergies have me under house arrest..sigh. Which means eating healthy is the ONLY option at the moment. I hope to be back at it in a week or two but until the pollen clouds subside I am le prisoner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo nice rant post. I hate it too when ppl don't call me back immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My horoscope the other day said that I might be more tired than I realize. Which is a frightening thought given that Jupiter has NOT woken me up two nights out of the last 16. Believe me, I realize that I'm tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am forever suggesting that my children do this or that by saying; so how about you do . .

    I get seriously angry when they don't hop to instantly. Some people just don't understand a direct order when they hear it :)

    Good luck with the run.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Couch to 5K thing is such a sham. No couch. What's that about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi M.J.! Great post! I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! Pick it up here: http://melissakline.blogspot.com/2011/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the Cough to 5K. I tried that last year with aspirations to run at a breast cancer dealy at the nearby Garden of the Gods. A couple weeks in, feeling all proud of myself (despite the lack of couch and chocolate chip cookie time) I started developing shin splints. When they got really bad, I had to give up, but now I enjoy a late-night walk instead, so it served a positive purpose for me even if I didn't get up to 5k status.

    Love the phone message, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi MJ, I just gave you the Versatile Blogger award. Swing by and pick it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. See, eating healthy and exercising are only last resorts. On hangover day, you're supposed to make those faulty vows, but not follow through. That's like, law. Now you've gone and followed through. You're ruining it for the rest of us couch and chocolate chip cookie people!

    But by doing he follow through, I think that would create a wormhole in the universe which your fence guy could use it, so for you, I guess it's a win/win.

    Enjoy your running without couches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your note about the fence people. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete