Sunday, May 1, 2011

April 2011 Book Report


It's the first of May so you know what that means... Well, it means something about baskets and a game of ding dong ditch but that's not actually what I meant. I more meant the part where I list the books I read last month and tell you a little bit about what I thought of them. So without further ado, here we go:

The White Queen- Philippa Gregory- All of her books are very well written and I liked the way she wrote this one. However, it’s just not my favorite. Those books belong to the Boleyns. The end of The Boleyn Inheritance made me breathless. This one just made me say, “Okay, great. What’s next?” I am always interested in stories that talk about Richard II. They always seem to vary.

Water For Elephants- Sara Gruen- I’ve been meaning to read this book for a very long time now and now that I have and it happens to coincide with the movie release, I am afraid people will think I’ve only read it because of Robert Pattinson. This is NOT the case. Nothing against Rob, truly, but they had it on display at the library and so I picked it up. I’m glad I did because it’s really quite a good read. Not great but still quite good. I’m kind of interested in seeing the movie now.

Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog: The Book- Joss Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jed and Zack Whedon- A book which contains the full shooting script for the big show itself as well as Commentary! The Musical. And sheet music. And some hilarious bits written by Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day. A must for any totally obsessed fan. Not that I am one of those people…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky- I read about this book on someone’s blog. I don’t remember what blog it was on but he or she said this book came up with his or her students a lot as being listed as their favorite book. So I read it and I loved it. It’s the kind of book that makes me wish I was still teaching because I’d love to share it with my students. Emma Watson has signed on to play a part in a movie version. I don’t know what part but since I heart her and heart this book, I’m excited about it.

Where She Went- Gayle Forman- The sequel to her novel “If I Stay”. I wasn’t sure where this novel was going to go but I’m so glad I picked up it and went along for the ride because I really did love it. It was simply a fantastic read. I always love emotions when they’re raw and messy and that was definitely the case with this book. Of course, I thought the story dragged just a bit in the middle when Adam and Mia were reunited. Too much chatter and I wanted to get back to the internal messy emotions. But still, a wonderful, wonderful novel that made me swoon.

City of Fallen Angels- Cassandra Clare- Book Four in the Mortal Instruments series. I’m going to give it to you straight. I didn’t love this book. I was pretty bored most of the time when reading this. I know this opinion will make me unpopular with some and puts me clearly in the minority, but it’s okay. There were some gross parts of this book and thank goodness for Simon because he’s really the one character I seem to like and I feel so bad for him for what he gets put through. I’m guessing from the way the book ended that there’s another one coming out. Otherwise, worst ending ever.

Matched- Ally Condie- This book makes me wish I hadn’t started off my YA dystopian novel kick with The Hunger Games because I can’t even imagine the novel that’s going to rock my world more than THG did. That said, I wasn’t wowed by this particular novel. The cover is very pretty. And there is some very pretty writing to be found in the story. But it just didn’t do anything for me. Definitely no swooning happening for me. The beginning bored me. The middle didn’t seem to go anywhere. The end was more interesting and definitely not a stand alone ending so I’m expecting a sequel to pop up some time in the future. Hey look. I just checked Amazon. The sequel, "Crossed", will be out in November.

10 comments:

  1. Honestly, I am not stopping by your blog on the first of the month anymore! I always end up with so many books to add to my "to read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy reader! And I saw a couple other reviews for Matched that were similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea - a book post! I LOVED Where She Went! Too bad City of Fallen Angels is boring (I'm on City of Glass). And I have just accepted the fact that no dystopian novel will ever 'rock my world' the way The Hunger Games did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read all those just in the month of April?? I'm impressed! I want to read Water for Elephants and a few of the Philippa Gregory books. They are on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I always love finding more books to add to the ol' wish list! I'm curious about Water for Elephants since hearing it was a NaNo, unless I'm thinking of the wrong one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you on City of Angels. Actually I didn't love any of the MI books. I skipped whole chunks of pages (seriously) and didn't feel like I missed anything worthwhile at all. Not a good sign. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Karen- My favorite Philippa Gregory books are "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "The Boleyn Inheritance" I can't recommend those two enough.

    @Shannon- Water For Elephants was a NaNo book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reviews. I have three books I'm working on and should finish this month. I just can't seem to read one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great list of reads, M.J. Thanks for breaking them all down for us.

    I gave you a shout-out on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete