Friday, April 1, 2011

A Is For Alison


Alison is my sister-in law. She had a birthday a couple of days ago and I had fully intended to blog about it on the day of her actual birth but my temper life kind of got in the way and she was bumped (nothing personal, Alison, I swear). Fortunately, her name starts with an A and I'm participating in the A to Z Challenge this month.

It's like serendipity. Or something.

I first really got to know Alison while on a family vacation to the Outer Banks where we explored the Elizabethan Gardens, kayaked around the sound and, one evening, drank Long Island iced teas together at a little restaurant whose name I can't recall. I ordered mine first as it is my drink of choice. She thought it sounded good and asked for one as well. She thought she was ordering actual iced tea. You would've thought getting carded would've been a strong indicator that she was wrong but it wasn't and what happened next turned into one of the funniest evenings I've ever had.

And all because of a backpack vacuum cleaner.

We've traveled a lot together since then and spent quite a few quieter evenings at home playing Dirty Word Scrabble (my mother is so proud) and other board games. Once she had a wine cooler and spent about an hour cleaning out my pantry. Next time she comes, I'm going to give her two wine coolers and point her toward the basement.

I make fun but really, she's been a fantastic friend and sister to me over the years and I'm so very glad she and my brother found each other. She's super smart, super supportive, organized, driven and has never met a home improvement project she didn't immediately want to take on.

In honor of this last trait, I have composed a special birthday limerick for her because not only does she deserve a birthday limerick (and don't we all?), but April also just happens to be National Poetry Month.

There once was a girl named Alison
Who thought DIY projects were oh so much fun.
From morning 'till night,
They're her heart's delight
She won't rest 'till Stewart's outdone.


Check out her blog, Welcome Sunshine Home, for pictures and descriptions of the DYI projects and whatever else she's got cooking (because she also cooks. And sews. She makes me look like a wildly inadequate homemaker. Which I am. I own that.)

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY, ALISON! We here at My Pet Blog salute you.

21 comments:

  1. Happy belated B-Day, Alison! What a great lead-off post and I'll be sure to check out her blog. I'm with you because I can't sew or do DIY to save my soul. :) And Long Island Iced Teas are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three cheers for Miss Alison!!!!

    Hip Hip Hooray~
    Hip Hip Hooray~
    Hip Hip Hooray~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated b-day to you Alison, hope it was a great day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the limerick!! Happy belated birthday to your sister-in-law! She sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Alison! And good luck with the challenge. Kind regards, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B'day Allison. And MJ you are a nut. Thanks for my first morning laugh :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, nice tribute! (and first blogpost I've hit today that wasn't on anger--so thank you for this happiness break!) I hope she had a great brithday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Allison!

    Great use of the letter "A", I'm glad that all worked out! Good luck in the rest of the challenge! I'll be reading!

    Danni
    Random Thoughts By Danni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute Limmerick. I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to give Alison a shout out on your blog. I've given a few to my family members from time to time. That smoothie looks awesome. I do love smoothies. Have agreat weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Alison - AWESOME tribute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated birthday wishes to Alison, that was a nice limerick too. She sounds lovely, the story with the drinks had me laughing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your sister-in-law! A great start to the A to Z Challenge - I enjoyed your limerick, as well.

    I have two sisters-in-law who are soul sisters for me. Isn't it great when that happens?

    A Piece of My Mind

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute limerick! And happy birthday Alison :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope Alison had a great birthday.
    *still laughing at your "sick and happy" post when you talked about Lingo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alison's also a Lingo fan. I tell you, she's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome aboard to the A-Z Challenge express! Interesting, is it not, how even everyday items can become objects in great stories when the opportunity arises?

    ReplyDelete
  18. that's a cool poem for someone on her bday. Alison is lucky.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope Alison had a great birthday! Wonderful way to start off the A to Z Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete