Saturday, April 9, 2011

H Is For Hodgepodge

I'm off for the day. I'm taking the pups to obedience class where we just may be able to work outdoors for the first time in months. It's very exciting. So here, for you today, are a few of my favorite H things...

H Books


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The first novel of an amazing trilogy. Don't be turned off by that whole YA thing...READ THESE BOOKS.

Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead. The first novel in a trilogy that retells the Robin Hood legend. The writing in this book (and the two that follow it) is so damn beautiful. This ain't your Errol Flynn Robin Hood (nor your Mel Brooks either). I love the second book in the series, Scarlet, even more. READ THESE BOOKS TOO.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. I couldn't talk about H books without mentioning the Harry Potter series. You shouldn't have expected me to try.

H Movies




Heat- a 1995 film starring Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Val Kilmer. Al plays a cop trying to bring down a crew headed up by De Niro. Heavy on the action, heavy on the awesome.

Hurt Locker- A 2008 movie starring Jeremy Renner. This movie is so suspenseful I don't think I breathed during three quarters of it.

Harry Potter- I couldn't talk about H movies without mentioning Harry Potter. You shouldn't have expected me to try. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two out in JULY!!!

H Television




House-
You know they'll never get the medical stuff right until the end of the show so I don't watch for the medical mystery. Instead I'm in it for a healthy dose of snark, sarcasm and dysfunction. And the music. They really do feature some gorgeous music on that show. Speaking of music, did you see the recent musical episode? Loved. It.

How I Met Your Mother
- This show just keeps rocking my world. Slap Bet, Robin Sparkles (anything featuring Robin Sparkles!), the one with the blizzard, the one where Ted buys a house... the one where Marshall's father dies (heartbreak, so so heartbreaking), the one where John Lithgow shows up as Barney's father... I kind of don't care if we ever find out who the mother is because that'll mean this show has come to an end.


H Songs


Here are two of my all-time favorite songs:

Heavy In Your Arms by Florence + The Machine




Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley




In the comments, I invite you to tell me some of your favorite H things...Have a great weekend, everyone. Thanks for stopping by.

15 comments:

  1. Great selection. I have written down the book titles I haven't read to add to my tbr list :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite H thing. My HUBBY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list of "things" starting with H :)

    I am a big House fan, and also Jeff Buckley. Aaand Harry Potter of course. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah the Harry Potter books rock. Those were bedtime stories as my children grew up and I think J.K. is a wonderful story teller and story weaver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your "H" topic for today, Hunger Games! I have only read the first book, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop. I want to finish the series and wait for the film to come out:)))
    Stop by my blog please:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list. I've never read the Hood books, I'll have to check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished the Hunger Game series! Loved them! Could barely put them down! And of course, Harry Potter is totally awesome (AVPM reference, anyone?). I'll have to add Hood to my (ever growing) list of books to read!

    Anyway, great list overall! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry Potter and Hunger Games would go straight to the top of my all time favorite YA books/series.

    I like your 'H' post/book theme too!

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been a fan of YA novels, but I just might read The Hunger Games. I'm hearing so much about the series. I'm curious to see what they do with the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still waiting for Hunger Games to come back into the library. I've been wanting to read it for ages, but every time I go, it's out. Maybe next week....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got some awesome picks here. Heat, House, and Florence & the Machine. That's enough for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope all things went well with the dogs, yesterday. I take Sundays off to spend with my family. A must for my overactive writing brain. LOL Great to meet you through the A-Z challenge. Following now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the Hunger Games. Other Hs? My health, happiness and my husband! Yee-haw!

    Another A to Zer, another follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the word Hodgepodge :-)

    ReplyDelete