Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D Is For Dogs and Doctors

First of all, before I dive into today's A to Z Challenge post, I just want to say Thank You to everyone who came out and read and commented on my post yesterday. I am flattered by your kindness and consideration. Y'all are the best and I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate it. Well, I probably could but it would just sound like senseless babbling. Better to leave it as is.

Moving on...

Yesterday was Big's birthday. Big is my now eight year old German shepherd dog. We call him Big because, well, because he's big. I wasn't going for irony or anything, just plain simple truth. When The Man and I first got him, my father looked at the puppy and said, "that dog's going to be 130 pounds." This made me laugh because German shepherd dogs, even the males, do not often get that big.

Well, my father was right. Big weighs in at 130 pounds which means he has a considerable weight advantage over me. Fortunately, this is only an occasional problem for us as Big is, for the most part, a pretty mellow boy. Of course, I could just think that because my other dog, the Gator Girl, is a canine whirling dervish.

Anyway...

Here are Big's Top Five Favorite Things:

5. Sleeping (preferably on the couch)

4. Agility class (preferably without the Gator Girl in attendance)

3. Cheeseburgers (preferably from Burger King but he'll settle for McD's)

2. Peeing on trees (only to be trumped by...)

1. My mom (you should see how damn happy and excited he gets when he sees her. It's really funny and sweet.)

This year, Big spent his birthday as he spends most of his birthdays: sleeping late, peeing on trees, a visit to my mother's house followed by a Burger King cheeseburger all of his own (normally he has to share with his sister).

Now for the second part of this blog. I mentioned on Sunday that I intended to post an ode to Dr. Horrible and I really meant to do just that. However, this thing called life got in the way and took up too much of my time so the Ode to Dr. Horrible is not quite ready for the blogosphere. However, I still wanted to bring it up because it's Dr. Freakin' Horrible and is the best musical blog really almost ever. In addition to having some totally kick ass tunes (and yes, I do have each and every one of them memorized), it has such great humor.

Here are some of my favorite Dr. Horrible quotes:

"The world's a mess and I just need to rule it." (Dr. Horrible, Act I)

"It's curtains for you, Dr. Horrible. Lacy, gently wafting curtains." (Captain Hammer, Act I)

Billy: I wanna be an achiever. Like Bad Horse
Penny: The Thoroughbred of Sin?
Billy: I meant Ghandi. (Act II)

All right, I could really go on and on about Dr. Horrible (and yes, in the past and present, I have done just that) so I'm going to stop here because it is the A to Z Challenge and we all have about a bazillion blogs we're trying to visit (thanks for coming to visit mine). Did I leave out your favorite quote? Are you tired of hearing me gush about Dr. Horrible? Tell me in the comments...

20 comments:

  1. That picture of your dog with goggles is awesome. :D

    And Doctor Horrible is fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never get tired of hearing about Dr. Horrible! I agree: Best. Musical. Blog. Ever.

    I was a huge fan of everybody who starred in it too - NPH, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day and Simon Helberg, I love them all!

    My favorite line (of course) is "The hammer is my penis." Though without context it sounds really strange and creepy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not know of this Dr. Horrible...ah! Have you just given me another blog to read? Crap;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Big Happy Birthday for me! LOL @ "thoroughbred of sin". Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Horrible is awesome.

    I saw this animal show where this guy was preparing for his dive with dangerous humboldt squid in Mexico. To simulate the attack of the squid, they had him don some protective gear and sicked an attack dog on him (german shepherd). I guess the german shepherd has a bite kinda similar to that of one of these dangerous squid (only without tentacles).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Laura- I love the goggles picture too. Big hates to wear them but as his eyes are sun sensitive, they're kind of a necessity.

    @Michael- I've been one of those people with the protective gear and a dog hanging off her arm. They may not have tentacles but sometimes, it certainly seems that way. It sounds like an interesting show though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can totally talk about Dr. Horrible.

    Ok. That is an awesome dog pic.
    We have a cat instead of a dog.
    I'm not at all happy about this.
    I borrow my friend's weimeraner all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Bday to Big!! WOw he sounds like a big guy. I have a 1 year old labradoodle at 70lbs and sheesh he's stronger than me already. And he laso loves my mom.. lol. What's with that??

    Big is super cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr horrible is available streaming on Netflix for anyone who wants to check it out and has that available. It is pretty hilarious. Nice post again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing a lot of dog posts today, which I love! :-)

    Anything funnier than dogs with glasses? I don't think so ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Big with his goggles, how adorable. He's a doll, Happy Birthday to Big!

    I'm going to have to check out Dr. Horrible now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww...Big is so cute and well,...BIG. 130lbs?! Yowsa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww I love Big in goggles and Gator Girl is a name that just rules.

    Dr. Horrible is the best. Ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dog weighs 130 pounds? And you have another one? Wha?! And here I thought four cats at ten pounds each was a handful. Super cute pics. Your pups are gorgeous!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Marie at the Cheetah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love LOVE LOVE dogs!! My chocolate lab passed away on Christmas Day, and we miss her SO MUCH! We still have a giant black dog who is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Feliz Cumpleanos Big! I've never watched Dr. Horrible. Clearly, I'm missing out and will rectify the terrible oversight immediately. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. German Shepherds are my favorite dogs!!! Big is very handsome, btw.

    I had a female named Ginger. Her bff? My cat called TomTom...who turned out to be a female. Hey, I was a kid!

    Happy B-Day, Big, and it's sweet of you to share with your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sitting here staring at my 2 German Shepherds's and they are wishing Big a happy birthday. Try walking 2 sometime :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  19. Big would like to thank everyone for the birthday wishes but he's currently passed out and snoring on the daybed in the office...

    ReplyDelete
  20. both shots are cool,
    the 2nd one is funny....

    fabulous Dog, beautiful D post.
    Bless you...

    ReplyDelete