Thursday, April 7, 2011

F Is Totally For Firefly


Before we get down to the business of discussing the best gorram show to ever be unfairly and stupidly canceled by the Fox television network, let me just express my extreme excitement (wait a minute...E was yesterday. Lemme try this again) fanatical frenzy (yes, I can Google 'thesaurus') at having reached the 200 followers mark (thank you, Doreen McGettigan).

Wow. Just wow.

I'm flattered. I really am. I feel like I should do a giveaway or something to celebrate your awesomeness. Of course, I don't really have anything to give away. This just in...The Man would like to offer up our cats as a prize. He says you could even choose which one you want-- the sick one with no bladder control (super fun!) or the evil one with no purpose apart from making your life miserable.

He is, of course, joking. I mean, yes, the description of the cats is accurate. I'm just not going to be offering them up as a prize (sorry, hon). Which, when you think about it, is kind of a prize in itself...

So CONGRATULATIONS to all my followers who are indeed WINNING because they don't have to live with my cats.

Anyway. On with the show...

As part of the A to Z Challenge which has taken over my entire existence, I have chosen to spend this day of F talking about Firefly, the little space western that could. Joss Whedon's (I heart Joss Whedon, in case you weren't clear on that) genre melding show is one of my all time favorite shows, neck and neck with Buffy the Vampire Slayer for my favorite show of all time. And I watch a lot of television. I mean, a lot. This show is smart. This show is funny and comes with the shiniest cast of characters in the whole gorram universe. And I love them and watch them every chance I get.

In the interest of time, I am only going to list my Top Five Episodes (which is not unlike choosing which of your children you like best) and some of the highlights from each:

1. Serenity, Parts One and Two

This was the actual intended pilot episode that Fox, in all their infinite glory and wisdom (yes, sarcasm.) decided to air last. Whatever. Anyway, this episode was written and directed by my idol Joss Whedon. Highlights include the whole damn episode. Since I can’t list the whole damn episode here, here are some highlights from the highlights:

WASH: This is a Fertile land and we will thrive…
WASH (as stegosaurus): We will rule over all this land, and we will call it… This Land.
WASH (as T-Rex): I think we should call it… your grave!
WASH (as stegosaurus): Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
WASH (as T-Rex): Ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!

JAYNE: Testing. Testing, Captain, can you hear me?
MAL: I’m standing right here.
JAYNE: You’re coming through good and loud.
MAL: ‘Cause I’m standing right here.

ZOE: I know something ain’t right.
WASH: Sweetie, we’re crooks. If everything were right, we’d be in jail.

2. Our Mrs. Reynolds

Written by Joss Whedon and directed by Vondie Curtis-Hall: Probably the most hysterical of all the episodes. I would really like to quote just the entire damn episode here but I shall restrain myself to just these two lines:

MAL: I swear by my pretty flowered bonnet, I will end you.

MAL: Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

3. Jaynestown

Written by Ben Edlund and directed by Marita Grabiak. Possibly the second funniest episode. Highlights:

Uh…the Ballad of Jayne. Duh.

WASH: We gotta go to the crappy town where I’m a hero!

4. Out of Gas

Written by Tim Minear and directed by David Solomon. This is a non linear episode that'll make you laugh and then sob. It also offers you a chance to see how the crew ended up on Serenity. It's just overall awesome. Highlights:

ZOE: Get her running again?
MAL: Yeah.
ZOE: So not running now?
MAL: Not so much. But she will.

MAL: I need that in Captain Dummy talk.

Plus, Mal and Wash's fight on the bridge that ends with Wash's exclamation "Well, maybe I should do that then!" I'd post it here but it loses a lot on the page. If you know this episode, you know what I mean.

5. Objects In Space

Written and directed by Joss Whedon and the very last episode to air. This episode is focused on River Tam, one of my all time favorite characters. Highlights:

WASH: Little River just gets more colorful by the moment. What’ll she do next?
ZOE: Either blow us all up or rub soup in her hair. It’s a toss-up.
WASH: I hope she does the soup thing. It’s always a hoot, and we don’t all die from it.

SIMON: You’re out of your mind.
EARLEE: That’s between me and my mind.

So that does it for my list of Rive Favorite Firefly Episodes. Did I leave yours out? Tell me in the comments. Are you as mad at the Fox network for ruining your life? Tell me in the comments.

Oh wait. Two final highlights, otherwise known as the Hats of Firefly:


Have a shiny. happy day!

27 comments:

  1. "Hey! What you two think you're doing? Fightin' at a time like this? You'll use up all the air."
    -Jayne


    You put it perfectly, this is the best gorram show to ever be unfairly and stupidly canceled by the Fox television network!

    I really hope Nathan Fillon buys the rights to the so they can make new episodes again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also meant to add that I have no idea how you managed to whittle it down to a top 5, I usually end up with a top 8 because I add Trash, Heart of Gold and The Message in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE FIREFLY. I think that "Ariel" is probably my favorite episode, but that's not saying a lot because they are all AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of "Ariel." It had the right mix of action and suspense with a healthy dose of humor. It rounded out the characters.

    I just only recently watched the series. But I saw the "Serenity" in theaters when it came out, so I did it backwards. Still, it's now my most favorite show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I. Love. That. Show.

    Mike (the husband) put in the first episode and I was like, really? I'm going to like this?

    And I LOVE it. It's so time to watch them all again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So tragic it got canceled. However, the canceling of the show definitely boosted Nathan Fillion's career.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Believe it, it was so hard to just include five episodes because I seriously do love each and every one of them.

    Ariel is a FANTASTIC episode. I love the whole sequence of the gang getting ready for the big heist (Simon coaching the three of them on medical speak), and the part at the end between Mal and Jayne- WOW. Killer moment, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to tell you, even as a Joss Whedon lover, it took me a long time to see Firefly. Finally my husband convinced me to invest some time in it and I LOVED IT. Nice call.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your 200 followers! And YAY FIREFLY! Though I can't believe you passed up the chance to post Nathan naked... (that's the Firefly shot I usually do *teehee*)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on 200 followers! I really miss watching FIREFLY. It was a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm too busy writing to watch that show. :) But it was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every episode is awesome. I couldn't tell you my favorite.

    But you didn't mention a single word about River. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the whole season of firefly but haven't watched a single episode. I'm really liking castle and I'm worried that if I watch firefly it might mar my view of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never watched this show, but I've just read all the dialogue you've posted and I'm thinking I need to get hold of it somehow!! Sounds super witty :-) (Darn, wish I could write like that...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATULATIONS on your followers! :)

    I've never watched Firefly, but seeing as a lot of people have mentioned it in their "F" posts, I think I had better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Brent- easy with the shame! =D I love River Tam. When I talked about Objects in Space I called her one of my all time favorite characters. I want to BE River Tam when I grow up. And River Tam is going to be featured in a blog here next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved that show...I miss that show. Congratulations with the 200 followers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard so many good things about this show. I should totally check it out. Congratulations on hitting 200 followers! Celebrate every milestone. Soon you'll hit 500. :P
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. My bad. I think I was focused on your focus on the men. My focus is usually on Summer Glau.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooo, shiny! Love all the memory quotes. ;o) Love the shows, too--my daughters and I watched a marathon of the shows one New Year's Eve, just devoured 'em. What a super way to bring in a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Firefly. Got the DVDs right after they came out. Got the whole family into the show (a bit too late, sigh).

    The Jayne hat. So many knitters have replicated (any knitters? check out Ravelry. pattern search "Jayne hat"). I think the obnoxious colors are what make it a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have heard so many great things about Firefly, how is that I've somehow missed it's a space western? I am so moving it to the top of the netflix list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. congrats on your 200+ followers :)
    And yay for Firefly. I love the way too short series.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for not sending me a cat. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love, love Firefly!!!! I'm still Yosemite Sam spluttering mad over the cancellation. Every episode is pure splendiferous joy. I love War Stories and The Message.

    Congrats on 200 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. episode Janestown:
    Kaylee: were ever i move his eyes keep following me!!
    (Art-Critics)

    ReplyDelete