Hey, raise your hand if you thought this would be a Buffy the Vampire Slayer blog! I thought about it, I really did, but I decided to go with something a little more unexpected.
Hence the baseball.
Baseball season is upon us once more as the boys of summer are back in town. Well, my particular boys aren't back in town. I suppose you can guess who my boys are (Hint: Not The Yankees.). My boys are in Arlington, Texas as the New England weather in April doesn't often lend itself well to outdoor sporting venues. But that doesn't matter because I have cable.
The Man was less than thrilled when he came home to find the Red Sox on the television. He's not so much a baseball fan. It took me years to get him to watch football but I don't think he'll ever develop a love of baseball. It's all right with me though because it's easier to drool over Jacoby Ellsbury that way. Jacoby Ellsbury is adorable.
The rest of the team is pretty damn adorable too (Jon Lester, Dustin Pedroia, Daniel Bard!) and they generally play ball pretty well. I have to say 'generally' because, well, they lost yesterday. Not ideal, I know, but at least Ellsbury had a good game, right?
I'm sure we'll win tonight. Besides, it's early yet. It's all right if Toronto's at the top of the AL East standings and if the Yankees are ahead of us. We'll catch up. We usually do. Unless we're experiencing an insane number of injuries like we did last season. Then it might be a little more difficult. But still...I think this year will be THE year.
1. Fever Pitch- The one where Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore meet and fall in love. Oh, and the Red Sox win the World Series. How could ANYTHING else be number one?
2. A League of Their Own- There's no crying in baseball!
3. Field of Dreams- Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones go to Fenway Park.
4. The Rookie- A very nice movie where Dennis Quaid (playing real life major leaguer Jim Morrison) follows his dreams and becomes a major league pitcher. I like it even if Dennis's character plays for the Devil Rays.
5. Rookie of the Year- This movie makes me laugh. It's just silly fun. And besides, I've never seen Bull Durham or Major League.
Are you a fan of baseball? If so, for whom do you root? And don't be shy. If you're a Yankees fan, you can say so. I have a couple of very good friends who root for the Evil Empire and we make it work every day...
Oh, and one last thing, I really want to thank everyone who took the time to read and critique my novel pitch I posted this morning. Your feedback was amazing and very much appreciated. You rock!!