Thursday, March 3, 2011

Packing Problems

The forecast for Florida during our stay:


Day One: A low of 43 degrees (did I mention it's currently ten below zero right now? 43 degrees would seem like heaven) and a high of 71 degrees. 70% change of thunderstorms. Perfect flying weather. I am focusing on the low of 43 degrees. Everything else is gravy, right?

Day Two: Low 47 with a high of 69. With sun. Lots and lots of sun.

Day Three: Low 51 degrees (I just giggled like a school girl) and highs in the low 70's. More sun.

Day Four: A low of 58 degrees and a high of 75 with partly cloudy skies. You know what that means...mostly sunny skies.

The highest temperature for the Mount Washington Valley during the same time frame is 44 degrees. This will happen the day we leave and will be followed by another round of below freezing temperatures. Not below zero temperatures (thank goodness. I am so over below zero temperatures) but still, below freezing.

The one and only downside to all these warm temperatures and sunny skies is that I'm actually going to have to wear shorts. This means I'm going to have to shave my legs. This is really only a problem because we're trying to pack smartly and lightly as to avoid having to check baggage and pay the baggage fees. I'm pretty sure the TSA site said disposable razors were all right but I'd really hate to end up pissing them off. Plus, I really hate disposable razors.

Maybe I'll just buy something when I get down there. And then leave it there.

The carry on only plan means I will also have to be smart about what clothes I pack. I like to bring extra clothes when I go because I like to have options. Tomorrow when I fill whatever bag I decide to bring, I'll have to put together outfits but sometimes, once I get to where I'm going, I just don't feel like wearing those outfits anymore. I was thinking about bringing two pairs of jeans (wearing one on the plane, packing the other) but that extra pair of jeans will take up room that could be used for other garments.

I hate packing. Hasn't anyone yet invented a suitcase which will pack itself? Because I would buy one. I really would.

And then there's the other things I like to take with me. I usually have a backpack just filled with books, notebooks, writing utensils and book lights (you know, in case one breaks, I like to have a back up). If there was ever a time to have a Kindle, right? I am not bringing my laptop which means I will not be blogging unless I commandeer The Man's laptop. I should probably limit myself to bringing just the one book. The purpose of the trip is to visit with The Man's grandparents. I can't imagine I'll have oodles of free time apart from being trap on the damn plane (I'm not much of a flying fan). One book would probably be sufficient.

Speaking of books, and this is a completely unrelated side note, but the fifth volume of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, A Dance With Dragons was issued a release date today. And it's coming out this year. In a handful of months even (July 12th). And GRRM fans everywhere rejoiced. I have very much enjoyed the first four books in this series so I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on the next one. (I heart Jon Snow. And Tyrion Lannister.) I'd also like to get my hands on HBO before April when the television series based on these books premieres. Entertainment Weekly had an exclusive and extended trailer on their site today. I watched a few (dozen) times and then had to wipe up an unsightly pile of drool from my desk. I begged The Man to get HBO just for the duration of the series' season but he laughed scoffingly at me and then left the room.

Utterly unfair.

But that doesn't have anything to do with packing.

See, this is why I am such a bad packer. I get distracted by something, anything, just so I don't have to pack because I hate it so. And then when I do actually get something into the suitcase, I end up having to take it all back out again to make sure I made the right decisions. It rightfully drives The Man crazy.

Tomorrow I plan to distract myself by posting the much anticipated pictures of my big ass storyboard monstrosity thing. (It's not quite 100% done but it's as close as it's going to get before this trip.) I honestly can't stop looking at it. If the airline tickets were refundable, I'd probably cancel the trip just so I could stay home and stare at it some more.

I am very pathetic, I know.

4 comments:

  1. Every time I have to go somewhere and thus need to pack.... I do it the day I'm leaving... like hours before I have to go. I hate packing so much I put it off forever. ANd I always bring too much because when I'm gone I generally pick my favorite and wear it too many times. When I was in Florida for two weeks, I brought an outfit for every day... I wore less than half of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the bags you put your clothes in and then suck them down with the vacuum cleaner? Love those things, twice as much for half the space :) Good luck packing.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just don't want to wear the same pair of jeans for six days straight again! I can't imagine why.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, that really must be it, Matryoshka. I didn't think of that but now that you've said it, it seems perfectly obvious. =)

    ReplyDelete