Monday, February 14, 2011

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLS of the Week


Before I get to the goal setting portion of today's blog, there's a little seasonal business to be dealt with first. I don't know if you've heard but today is Valentine's Day. A lot of the blogs that I've read today have mentioned it in one form or another and for a while, I wanted to weigh in on the topic of love in literary form. But as I am currently planning to use this topic as part of my A to Z Blogfest this April (and not under the letter 'L" either), that idea is out.

Several blogs are posting romantic bits of their WIPs. There's a blogfest of Love At First Sight where you post an excerpt of your novel where the two who are the two first meet. I thought about doing that because I really do love the scenes where my main characters first meet in Effigy and Vinnie And Ellie ( a working title that I do not like, by the way). But they're rather long, too long to put in a blog, I think, and so I'm not going to do that. Vinnie and Ellie's cute meet is posted on my site (just follow the link above) so if you'd like to check it out, please do.

So that leaves me with just wishing everyone out there a happy Valentine's Day. We're rather low key about it in our house. So low key in fact that we don't do anything and Joe completely forgot about it. I honestly forgot about it too. I generally send out cards to my nieces and godchildren and completely spaced on it. Sorry, kids. I'll probably remember Easter... probably.

Joe and I don't do the gift giving thing either. His gift to me this year was not groaning audibly last night when I ordered yet more books from Amazon. I'm thinking about stretching that generosity to another online order today...not for more books but for a new bookcase and a large bulletin board to hang in my office. I have a big empty wall that's just screaming for a big empty bulletin board. That would be my gift to him...the gift of a bookcase (which he would have to assemble) on which to put the mountains of paperbacks I have all over the place. And when he's done with that, he can hang my new giant bulletin board.

Hmm...maybe I should make him some lasagna or something to go along with that.

Anyway, onward and upward, right? Let's talk goals. I set goals at the start of every year. Goals that will, with any luck, be completed by the end of the year. These goals I'm going to list below are meant to be completed by the end of the week.

1. Finish Schism. My WIP Second Nature is currently broken up into three sections. The first of these sections is Schism and I will finish writing it by the end of the week. This is going to require me to buckle down and work out some big problem chapters but I feel kind of confident that I can get this done.

2. Take the cats to their vets. This is only a big deal because most cats are a pain in the ass to take to the vets. Vader is very easy to take to the vet, however, her doctor is an hour's drive away and whenever we go, we seem to have a horrendous experience (diagnosis wise). Read about the worst of our visits (the one that inspired me to take her to a new vet an hour away) HERE. Fat Cat is an absolute terror to take to the vet. Her vet appointments have, on occasion, translated to an ER visit for me. The only thing I can reasonably hope for now is that she's become too damn fat to move. That, or the doctor gives her some tranquilizers.

3. Complete three 30 minute work outs. No matter how much lip I have to take from that stupid microchip. One of the yearly goals I set involved training for a 5K and working out will be a big step in that direction. I guess I could always run outside. It will be above freezing at some point this week. Or so they say.

4. Finalize Florida vacation plans. Joe's grandparents winter down there and every year we say we're going to go down for a visit. And every year something comes up that requires us to not go to Florida in the winter. One year it was the need to replace our washer and dryer. This year, however, we are going to make this trip a reality. And it (the plans) is going to happen this week.

Anyone else setting any goals this week? Enjoy your Valentine's Day, or enjoy hating it, the way some people do. Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals!

    Hope you have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive goals. Hope you get nice weather for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog and good luck with your goals. Treat yourselves this year and go to Florida.

    As far as sending cards, I would like to give you a gift, which is, snail mail a heartfelt Valentine's Day card to Joe today, all online. Even if it comes at the end of this week, he will be surprised and will love it.

    I use SendOutCards to mail all my business and personal holiday, birthday, special event, celebtation cards. Please go to the website and click on number 2 on the top banner which says "Send a Free Card".

    The details are:

    Website to mail a free card - www.sendoutcards.com/b2b

    Related business blog: www.cardgrowth.blogspot.com

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete