Sunday, January 23, 2011

Top Tunes #11-20


Are you ready for another ten tunes? Because I am...


20. My Skin by Natalie Merchant. Found on her 2006 album Ophelia, this song is so damn beautiful and lovely both musically and lyrically. Perfectly fits with my Effigy heroine which, yeah, is a big reason why this song's on this list.

19. If I Had $1,000,000 by the Barenaked Ladies- From their album Gordon, this song is just a lot of fun and I love to sing it, both in the shower and out. I really like how in a lot of their live performances of this song, they customize parts of it for whatever city in which they're performing.

18. Into Dust by Mazzy Star- I first heard this song in the background of the House season three episode "One Day, One Room" and liked it enough to track it down. It's from my acoustic folk music phase. It's just absolutely beautiful. It's also on my writing playlists though not attached to any specific story. Yet.

17. Grey Street by the Dave Matthews Band from the 2002 album Busted Stuff. The music in the song is quite awesome but it's the lyrics that caught my attention. "There's an emptiness inside her/ and she'll do anything to full it in/ and though it's red blood bleeding from her now/ it feels like cold blue ice in her heart./ She feels like kicking out all the windows/ and setting fire to this life." This, for those few of you in the know, is a Cate song.

16. Chop and Change by the Black Keys- This song is found on the Twilight Eclipse movie soundtrack. I've not been a fan of the books or the movies (not that that's stop me from reading and watching them all) but the soundtracks I have really enjoyed. This song is a new addition to the list but it's ushering in my new music phase of my life: the moody blues. "She had no luck, but ain't it strange?/ The girl knew how to chop and change" ...it's just damn cool.

15. Come Together by the Beatles. I also enjoyed Crystal Bowersox's rendition of the song last year on American Idol. My high school phys ed teacher made us jog around the gym at the start of every class and while we ran, we listened to the Beatles. On vinyl even (not that that'll date me at all...). Good to know I got something out of high school phys ed.

14. Waiting For The Bus by the Violent Femmes- My senior year of high school, we had a German exchange student who listened to the Violent Femmes and got me to listening to them too. This song, if you don't know it, is just funny. Not haha funny exactly but just funny. Joe groans and rolls his eyes every time it shows up on the iPod.

13. Anna Begins by the Counting Crows. This song can be found on the 1993 album August and Everything After. Bought this album because the boy I was dating at the time loved this album. I'm not sorry I did because I pretty much listened to it nonstop my first two years of college (sorry, dormmates), even after the boyfriend and I were no longer together. This is my favorite off that album. Pretty music, pretty lyrics.

12. Better Man by Pearl Jam off their 1994 album Vitalogy. I remember when this album was released. It was a Big. Deal. And honestly, I wasn't much of a Pearl Jam fan and I couldn't tell you a single other title off this album but for whatever reason, this song stuck with me.

11. On My Own from the Broadway musical Les Misérables. It doesn't matter who's singing it (although I am partial to my own rendition), I just sincerely love this song. It's always been one of my secret (well, not so secret anymore) ambitions to sing this song on a stage in front of people. That's right...I said in front of people.


Well, that does it for today but be sure to tune in tomorrow when I reveal the long agonized over list of my (current) top ten songs of all time...

5 comments:

  1. Great list! Ophelia is one of my fave albums of all time. Along with Pearl Jam Ten.

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great selection of music
    thanks for the melody's,
    jeremy
    [iZombie]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Beatles and Barenaked Ladies. Superlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violent Femmes were in my top 20, but they cut as I narrowed further and further down. But, I had to at least give them a lyric reference in my opening words ;)

    ReplyDelete