Monday, January 24, 2011

Top Tunes #1-10


I was going to post this list earlier this morning but as it was (and still is) 27 BELOW zero outside, I had a little trouble convincing myself to get out of bed. But here I am, beneath layers and layers of clothing and blankets (you'd think it was 27 below inside the house too) ready to reveal to the world my (current) top ten songs of all time. And I am really looking forward to reading others' lists, even though I know I'll spend a lot of time saying, "Damn! Why didn't I think of that one!"

Anyway, without any further delay, here is for your viewing pleasure, my top ten:



10. Rolling In On A Burning Tire by The Dead Weather. I am totally head over heels in love with this band and this song is what hooked me. It's just frakking awesome from start to finish. I love the line "Rolling in on a burning tire/ you're going to set my house on fire/ just to show me/ you were there" Damn right.

9. Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones or The Sundays or Charlotte Martin. It's the song I adore really. I don't particularly care who's singing it. I think I am partial to the Sundays' version because that was the song to which Buffy and Angel danced at her senior prom. Yes, I am a geek and proud of it.

8. I Know by Trespassers William- This is also a Buffy the Vampire Slayer song. It shows up in the season six episode Gone and plays in the background of the end just so damn quietly you almost don't even know it's there. But it caught my attention so I tracked it down. It introduced me to a fantastic group who creates gorgeous songs. This is a Cate and James song.

7. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler (or the Glee kids). This is my karaoke song of choice.

6. My Eyes from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog- I really do love each and every second of any Joss Whedon musical and was sorely tempted to have a top ten comprised completely of songs from Joss Whedon musicals but I refrained and selected just this one. Seriously, if you haven't experienced Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, you don't know what you're missing.

5. Breathe No More by Evanescence- A piano and Amy Lee's voice. "I've been looking in the mirror for so long/ that I've come to believe my soul's on the other side/ All the little pieces falling, shatter/ shards of me too sharp to put back together." This song is at the top of my writing playlist.

4. Maybe This Time from the Broadway musical Cabaret. There are a lot of versions of this song out there but the one that caught my attention was performed by Kristen Chenoweth and Lea Michele on Glee. And is now probably the closest thing I have to a theme song.

3. Everybody's Gonna Be Happy by The Kinks. This is generally the last song I listen to before I head into work. It helps put me in a good mood...or at least a better mood. "Everybody's gonna be happy/ which means you and me, my love" Sounds good to me.

2. Bodily by Ani DiFranco. This song is found on her 2004 album Educated Guess. It's a Cate and James song (I know most of you don't know what that means but maybe some day you will). It's a gorgeous song. It's a beyond gorgeous song with such powerful lyrics. I really want to put the entire song in here right now but I'll refrain. Here's a piece: "You broke me bodily/ the heart ain't the half of it/ and I'll never learn to laugh at it/ in my good natured way." You can't beat Ani and her guitar.

1. Heavy In Your Arms by Florence + The Machine- This song comes off the Twilight Eclipse soundtrack. In the movie, it plays over the end credits, which is a waste for this song because it is so frakking awesome that it's my #1 song in LIFE and I can't imagine anything ever usurping it. "I was a heavy heart to carry/ My beloved was weighed down/ my arms around his neck/ my fingers laced a crown/ I was a heavy heart to carry/ my feet dragged across the ground/ as he took me to the river/ and slowly let me drown" Yeah, I like heavy emotional type songs that pack a punch. This song has it all, soaring music, powerful lyrics, insane imagery...I LOVE THIS SONG. Check out these lyrics: "This will be my last confession/ I love you never felt like any blessing/ Whispering like it's a secret/ only to condemn the one who hears it/ with a heavy heart" LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. I'm posting this video below...it's not the full song but it's most of it and it'll give you a good idea what it's about. I hope you enjoy:




Well, there you have it. My top tunes. So a big THANKS to Alex J. Cavanaugh for hosting this Blogfest... Be sure to tune in tomorrow when I reveal my top ten list of Songs I Can't Believe I Forgot...

25 comments:

  1. ooh! i loved when kristin chenoweth and lea michele sang that song!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Horrible is fantastic. :) Have a lot of your list on my playlist

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your selections! Florence + Machine I just discovered and am so in love with them :)

    New follower.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choices! I've looked at about 10 lists now and each time, I'm wondering why some of those songs didn't pop into my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I love Joss Whedon! Great addition! I would've put Dr. Horrible and the Buffy Musical on there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good stuff and some stuff that I'm not familiar with but I'm sure it's good based on your choices of the other good stuff.

    Lee
    Make sure you check my Wednesday post!
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know all of the songs but I love #6.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, not familiar with any of those selections. So much out there that I am totally ignorant of. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I included a Bonnie Tyler song as well! I love all of Evanescence - it would be hard to narrow down just one song!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big variety on your list!
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy Lee is a brilliant song writer. And what a gorgeous voice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic choices! I know and love most of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. damn good list! I like many selections here, and a few more for me to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Florence and The Machine and Evanescence too. This was a great number one to play while I was reading your thoughts about your other choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to see Ani DiFranco live in NY. She had so much energy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. #7 takes me back. Funny how music does that to you, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...I don't know any of these songs...but I am very excited for you that you got 16 comments on your blog post...and I am not related to any of the commenters!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love love LOVE your list!
    (And Joss Whedon, but that's for another day.)

    I love Amy Lee. I love Ani DeFranco and last year I wrote to Florence & the Machine almost non-stop. The entire album is excellent. (I didn't put her on my list because she only has one album and I was thinking of Alex saying 'of ALL TIME' ...but I feel remiss. All 3 deserved to have been in my list. *sigh* Now I'm stressed out all over again. I really kinda hate Alex right now for putting me through this impossible task. I feel like I failed some songs/artists. *sighs again*

    Have a lovely week. :)
    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my list and comment on it! I appreciated it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 27 below shouldn't even exist as a temperature.

    And anyone who loves Dr. Horrible and Buffy is awesome in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice list! I've found a bunch more songs here I want to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great list and lots of variety. I like it! I'm not familiar with them all so I have to check out some new tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you included Doctor Horrible! I adore everything Joss Whedon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny, I was just listening to Wild Horses yesterday! I miss Dr Horrible - wonder if they'll ever do a sequel?
    And yay for The Kinks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read somewhere that there was a plan for a Dr. Horrible sequel but it was put on the back burner because of the Avengers movie. I was totally excited about Joss directing this movie...at least until I knew it meant no more Dr. Horrible.

    ReplyDelete