Monday, January 31, 2011

January 2011 Book Review


I didn't read much this month. I honestly think I might have burned myself out a little after last year so I was on cruise control this month as far as reading went. My goal to only read new-to-me books has stayed in tact so that's good. Something I am less proud of is the fact that I only read vampire romance novels this month but you know what? They don't take a lot of brain power and I didn't have a lot of brain power to spare. So there you have it. Here's what I read and what I thought about it:

Lover Revealed- J.R. Ward- Another Black Dagger book. I told you all I was going to read this year were vampire romance novels. No, I’m not. Probably not. I’ll read the rest of the series eventually but for now I think I want to read something different. The start of this novel was all right. There are some storylines she puts in to foster future novels, I’m guessing, but I kind of have figured it out already. I’m taking my complete apathy toward this book as a sign that I need to switch genres.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Long Road Home- Joss Whedon and Georges Jeanty- Season Eight, Volume One. All right, so this is kind of a switch of genres, isn't it? And all right, maybe it is kind of a vampire romance but it's waaay different. And awesome.

Lover Unbound- J.R. Ward- Don’t judge. I don’t seem to have it in me to read anything remotely strenuous. This apparently just leaves me vampire bodice rippers.

Lover Enshrined- J.R. Ward- Yeah, this is kind of embarrassing. I promise to read something more substantial some time next month. Anyway...you want to know something that’s bugged me about these books? Well, two somethings? First of all, these guys are vampire warrior types but they some times sound like valley girls or something. They’re all ‘I’m so not doing that” and are way more fashion obsessed than I think they should be. The second thing is for beings who have their own goddess and own religion, they say “God” and “Jesus Christ” a lot. I just don’t think they should. They’re not Christians. Well, the one vampire who was raised a catholic human is kind of a christian, I guess. I don't mind it when he does but it bugs me when the rest of them do it. They’re vampires who worship the Scribe Virgin or whoever but not God. I don’t know…it just always seems false to me when it comes up in dialogue. But what the hell, right? At least these vampires don’t sparkle.

3 comments:

  1. ...finally it's out there! Vampire romance novels don't take a lot of brain power...and damn the ignorant ones from Seattle who sparkle. (Huh, I guess they've already been damned, come to think of it:) One of my fellow bookworm peers can tolerate nothing less than a juicy vamp, sucking face, and a bit more, with some lonely vixen in every story she reads. It's become quite the phenomena...as long as they don't sparkle:)
    EL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hοwdy! This is mу fіrst visit to yоur blog!
    We are a collectіon of ѵolunteers and startіng a new projeсt іn a community in
    thе same nichе. Үour blοg proviԁеd us ѵaluable infoгmation to work оn.
    You have done a wondeгful job!http://dj.beаtpοrt.

    сom/еvents/39613
    Stop by my weblog : Movie Skyfall 2012 Watch it Online

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lovе what you guys are uѕuаlly uр
    too. This κind of clever ωork and eхрoѕuгe!
    Kеep up the amаzing works guys Ι've included you guys to my blogroll.Watch Doctor Who Season 7 Episode 0
    Review my blog - Watch Doctor Who Season 7 Episode 0 Online

    ReplyDelete