Thursday, December 30, 2010

December 2010 Book Report


Taken By Midnight
- Lara Adrian- The last (so far) book in the vampire series. This one irritated me. I mean, I don’t read these books expecting anything too deep or whatever, they are what they are but this book was particularly irritating because NOTHING HAPPENED. She set all this storyline up at the beginning with the MC’s mysterious medical condition. Never resolved. Maybe in the next book? I don’t know. She spent too much time setting up for the next novel and not enough time actually finishing the story she started out to write. But that’s just my humble opinion.

Wicked Appetite- Janet Evanovich- This is, I guess, the first in a new series which features Diesel from the Stephanie Plum in between the number novels (and Carl the monkey). It’s told from the POV of cupcake baker Lizzy something-or-other but most of the time, it just felt like I was reading another Stephanie Plum novel. And not an especially good one either. I also wasn’t thrilled by the reappearance of Carl the Monkey, I had to admit that some of his scenes made me laugh. Some.


Dark Places
- Gillian Flynn- I read a review of this novel on another blog and then found it at my local library so I picked it up and I am glad I did because I really ended up liking this book. The story is very well written and gripping. For the first two thirds of the novel I couldn’t put it down. I suspected what was going on but couldn’t be sure. The resolution came too quickly and wasn’t completely satisfying but still, a great read.


Low Red Moon
- Ivy Devlin- I was wandering around the bookstore when I was drawn in and seduced by the cover of this novel, which is really very pretty. The story behind the cover is not so pretty. It’s kind of bland. And by ‘kind of’, I mean ‘really’. There’s too much tell and not enough show and the big mystery was very transparent. I really wanted to reach into the pages of the book and smack the main character who couldn’t figure out what the hell was happening. Plus, every time the word ‘moon’ was used, the font was suddenly smaller and red for no apparent reason than to annoy me. If you’re interested in reading a young adult paranormal wolf themed romance, you should skip this one and read Maggie Stiefvater’s Wolves of Mercy Falls novels. Those are some gorgeous smartly written novels.


Crescendo
- Becca Fitzgerald- The sequel to Hush, Hush and while there's a lot about this book that makes me roll my eyes, I think I liked this one more than the first. Maybe that's not saying much. It ends on a cliffhanger so I’ll be looking for the third installment to be coming out soon. Don't judge. It's what I do.


Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories
- Zack Whedon (with Eric Canete, Farel Dalrymple, Jim Rugg, Joelle Jones and Scott Hepburn)- Dr. Horrible backstory!! The only downside to this graphic novel is that it’s not long enough.


The Shepherd's Tale
- Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon and Chris Samnee- A graphic novel which fills in the backstory of Shepherd Book from Whedon’s kick ass series Firefly. Ever wondered how it is a shepherd knew so much about crime and knee caps? Well, this book is for you. Again, the only downside to this graphic novel is that it’s not long enough and doesn’t answer all questions you might have and might actually raise a few more. A very riveting read. Really.


Sharp Objects
- Gillian Flynn- All right. I am ready to name Gillian Flynn my latest favorite author. This book was awesome. I absolutely love the way this woman writes. She writes dark stories but the way she writes them is oh so beautiful. And yes, I did figure out the mystery very early on but it didn't even matter.


Dark Lover
- J.R. Ward- The first novel in her Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Once I got past the stupid spellings of the vampires’ names, it wasn’t a bad read. I’ll likely read the rest because, well, because that’s what I do.


Lover Eternal
- J.R. Ward- The second in her Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I didn’t care for this book very much. I really don’t like the way the vampires call women ‘females’ and then their goddess shows up and she’s all like, “Come here, female” like it’s a mark of how important she is that she doesn’t use a human’s name. Some of the other dialogue irritates me too and I pretty much hate the word ‘saunter’ so I really hate it when I read it in print, any print, but I find it particularly annoying here. Vampire warriors should not saunter. Just saying. Plus, the whole thing with Mary and Rhage and the beast within Rhage goes to, I think, a very creepy and uncomfortable place. I do not judge. People should do what makes them happy, I guess, but yeah, creepy and uncomfortable.


Lover Awakened
- J.R. Ward- Don’t judge me. I’ve read a lot of books this year and if I want to just slack off at the end (AFTER having reached the intended goal), then that’s my prerogative. Anyway, this is the third in the brotherhood vampire series. I am proud to report that no one sauntered. The story in this novel wasn’t bad. I enjoyed it much more than Mary and Rhage’s story. There was actually one line here that made me laugh out loud. I always appreciate a story that can make me laugh. You know, with it and not at it.


And there you have it...all the books I read in December. I was shooting for eight titles and ended up with just a few more. Let's see where that puts me on the Year To Date Tally...

December Books: 11

Year To Date Total: 103

Books Remaining: -3

WOO HOO!! I did it!! I read one hundred books in one freaking year!! I'm so damn tired, I don't think I'm going to read anything else until next year. And then I'm only going to read vampire romance novels. All right, I'm probably not serious about that last part. Probably...

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your quick reviews that don't give away the story but just lets me know if it's worth picking up. You read a lot in busy December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! You made your goal before the deadline! Jupiter has read 140 books/chapters since I started writing them down sometime in October. Too bad you can't count each chapter as a book like she gets too.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, fortunately, my place of employment gave me an unexpected yet awesome holiday bonus: the gift of no payroll. I'll certainly miss the paycheck when it doesn't arrive but not working helped immensely with the reading this month.

    And yeah, I would love to get to count each chapter as a book. Just imagine how many 'books' I would have read then...

    ReplyDelete