Monday, November 22, 2010

Reading Is Sexy


The latest thing floating around Facebook...


Have you read more than 6 of these books? The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books listed here. Instructions: Copy this into your Facebook notes or your own blog. Or both. Bold those books you've read in their entirety, italicize the ones you started but didn't finish or read an excerpt. Tag other book nerds on Facebook. Tag me as well so I can see your responses!

(My personal note: I am going to write a little something about some of the titles. This is not part of the rules or whatever, just something I feel like doing. Anyway, let the games begin...)

1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen- God, how I hate this book. I am normally a fast reader but this novel (hell, this novelist) slowed me down to a pace so slow that a glacier past me along the way. I do love the movie adaptations though. Colin Firth can be my Mr. Darcy any time.


2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien-
Another series that took me a long time to get through. I was determined to read them one day because I thought it strange that I was a fantasy writing English teacher who had never read them. I finally had to bring them to Russia with me where I would be surrounded with nothing to do and very little English. Again, I loved the movie adaptations.


3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte-
I was supposed to have read this book in high school and, well, didn't. I read it for real a couple of years ago and was surprised to find that I enjoyed it.


4.
Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling- Well, if you've followed any of my book reviews, you'll know that I've read this series. Repeatedly.


5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee


6. The Bible


7.
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte- Back in the tenth grade, I was supposed to have written a paper on the symbolism of the weather in this book. Instead I wrote a paper on how the weather wasn't symbolic at all, that it takes places on the moors of Northern England so of course the weather sucked. I received a C+. Didn't love this book, not even when I read it again a couple of years ago. This surprised me because I'm such a sucker for a tragic love story.


8. Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell


9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman-
Most of this series bored the living daylights out of me. And the movie sucked too. Not enough Daniel Craig.


10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
- I actually liked this book.


11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott- I love the movie version starring Winona Ryder. Joe groans whenever I go to watch it.


12. Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy


13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller


14. Complete Works of Shakespeare-
I haven't read them all. By the by, shouldn't #98 be included in this?


15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier-
Have you seen the movie? It kind of kicks ass!


16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien


17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk


18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger- I didn't like this book really. There was one part toward the end where the imagery was cool that I enjoyed but mostly, I was kind of bored.


19. The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger- Haven't read the book. I watched the movie version though and was thoroughly bored by it.


20 Middlemarch - George Eliot


21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell- I read this one back in my college years when I was sick with mono. Walked around speaking with a southern accent for a while afterward. Just because I could.


22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
- I really love this book and have long harbored a crush on Nick. I taught this book back when I was teaching. I just read in Entertainment Weekly that Baz Lurhmann (the director of Moulin Rouge!) is in the process of making his own version of this book. Color me excited.

23 Bleak House- Charles Dickens


24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy- Haven't read it but everytime I think of this book, I always think of that Charlie Brown episode where he's supposed to read this book on his holiday vacation and wheels it around with him everywhere he goes.


25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams


26 Brideshead Revisited- Evelyn Waugh

27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky


28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck


29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll


30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame


31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy- I read this one in college during a modern fiction class whose focus was suicide in fiction. We also read Madame Bovary and The Sorrows of Young Werther. I'm pretty sure there was another novel in there somewhere too but, for the life of me, I can't remember what it is.


32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens-
Yep. Read this one too. Didn't like it though.


33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis


34 Emma -Jane Austen


35 Persuasion - Jane Austen


36 The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - CS Lewis- Question...is this not a part of the Chronicles of Narnia? Because I kind of thought it was. Doesn't really matter though, I suppose, because either way I haven't read it. It's just that if it is a part of the Chronicles of Narnia, this isn't really a list of 100 books, is it?


37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini


38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres


39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden


40 Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne


41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
- I can't even believe the number of times I've read this book. Because it's a lot.


42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown- First of all, I can't believe someone put this book on a list alongside writers like Dickens and Austen (yes, even though I don't particularly care for either of those writers). Second of all, I can't believe I wasted an entire weekend reading this book. Because it sucks.


43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez


44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving


45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins


46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery


47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy


48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood


49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
- I did love this book. It was kind of horrifying. But the character, Jack, helped to shape my view on how I write my male leads.


50 Atonement - Ian McEwan- This book is frakking gorgeous and I loved it. I also enjoyed the film version very much.


51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel


52 Dune - Frank Herbert


53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons


54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
- Another two months of my life I'll never get back. I can't even say I enjoyed the film version because I didn't, even if Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet were in it.


55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth


56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon


57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
- Read this one. Liked this one. I always think of that episode of Cheers where Frasier was reading this book to the guys at the bar and how, when they start to get bored, there's suddenly a helicopter and a gun fight going on. Too funny.


58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley


59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon


60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez


61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck- I never read this book in high school but picked it up a couple years back when I was on my 'read classic novels' kick. It surprised me that this book was read in high school.


62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov- I've never read it, but I have referenced it in my own writing. Correctly, I hope...


63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt


64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold- Brilliant and moving and incredibly sad.


65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas


66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac


67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy


68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding
- The movie was better. Again, why is this book on this list??


69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie


70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville


71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
- Please sir, I don't want any more.


72 Dracula - Bram Stoker


73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett


74 Notes From A
Small Island - Bill Bryson


75 Ulysses - James Joyce


76 The Inferno - Dante


77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome


78 Germinal - Emile Zola


79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray


80 Possession - AS Byatt- The book was far better than the movie.


81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens


82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell


83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker


84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro


85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert- See above.


86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry


87 Charlotte’s Web - E.B. White- Are there really people who haven't read this book? If you're one of them, please, let me know!


88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom


89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton


91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad


92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery (in French)


93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks


94 Watership Down - Richard Adams


95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole


96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute


97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas


98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
- Of course I've read this. It's my favorite Shakespeare play and I loved to teach this at school. The kids called me a geek because I was so into it. My question is: Shouldn't this be included in the complete works of Shakespeare?


99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl


100
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo- Not only have I read this in English, but I've also read it in French. And I have the musical memorized. Shouldn't I get bonus points for that?



Well, there it is. I've read more than six, so take that, BBC. I'm breaking the rules slightly in that I am not tagging anyone. But, if you're so inclined, post this on your own blogs or Facebook pages.

3 comments:

  1. It probably doesn't count if I can't remember reading the book, right? And if you are talking reading for pleasure, I've got 1 (but it was seven books).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it bothered me that the Harry Potter series was listed as one book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably won't get to posting this on my blog, since I haven't posted since October. But I have read Germinal, after spending my sophomore college Christmas break looking in every bookstore for a book called Journey Now. My French major head couldn't figure out that my professor (Western Civilization, not French) was anglicizing the title of the book terribly.

    ReplyDelete