Monday, October 4, 2010

Welcome!


I wanted to write a welcome message because, thanks to NaBloWriMo, I've been fortunate enough to attract a number of new viewers and readers and I thought maybe I should introduce myself and thank you for taking the time to check out my blog.

First of all, I'd like to explain the name. It's called My Pet Blog and while I do, from time to time, discuss my pets, it's not a blog that is entirely devoted to my pets. So if you're thinking, "Well, I don't have any pets, nor any interest in pets", you'll have to find another excuse to not return here. I called it My Pet Blog because I thought it was funny, like My Pet Rock or something. My iPod is called My Pet iPod.

Really, I'm creative in other ways.

This blog will discuss my pets and day job. It'll also cover sports (fair warning: I am an unapologetic Boston sports fan. Red Sox and Pats all the way, baby!) television and movies and music. Some days I'll talk about my actual writing career (you know, the one going nowhere?) and the books I've read. If you're interested in an adoption story, you should check out my Russia archives (May 2010) which chronicle the story of my niece's adoption. I was privileged enough to go along for the ride. I also blog about my obsession with Joss Whedon as well as my goals and horoscopes and whatever else crosses my mind. It's a potpourri blog.

And I talk about all these things with what is probably an unhealthy dose of sarcasm. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for being nice and happy and positive and whatever but there are some days when sarcasm is the undeniable order of the day. If sarcasm bothers you, this may not be the blog for you. But give it a chance before you decide, all right?

So here are ten things you need know about me (okay, well maybe not need to know about me. Maybe might be remotely interested in learning about me? Or maybe I should just go with "Things I'm going to tell you about me"...yeah. I'll do that one.):

1. I am a writer. An unsuccessful and unpublished (though not for a lack of trying, contrary to popular belief) as of yet writer, but still, I keep at it. What's that they say about the definition of insanity? I write fiction in a variety of genres because I believe that if one wants to write a book, one should write a book, regardless of genre. I've written fantasy, chick lit and literary fiction and next month I plan to tackle young adult urban fantasy. If you're interested, you can click here to check out my work.

2. I used to read an average of sixty books a year, mostly fiction. I thought that was a decent amount until I joined Facebook and met a lot of people who read upwards of 100 books a year. It made me feel like a slacker so one of my goals this year is to read 100 books. I've read 80 so far. I blog about the books I read at the beginning of every month. Fair warning: I'm really picky about novels.

3. I am afraid of eggs. It's a residual Russia thing. Apparently, seeing a waist high stack of egg cartons sitting unrefrigerated in the middle of a grocery store aisle scarred me for like because I am seriously afraid of eggs. I won't eat them, I won't cook with them or even stand in the same room as someone who is cooking with them. Hell, I won't even buy them. I read somewhere once that Alfred Hitchcock was always afraid of eggs. Good thing to know I'm not alone.

4. My pets. I have two dogs, a 7 year old German Shepherd (we call him Big because he's, well, big) and a 5 year old Belgian Malinois (nicknamed Gator Girl for reasons that are obvious if you're familiar with the Malinois breed). I also have two cats, 12 year old Vader (so called because her wheezing is so bad she sounds like a certain Sith lord) and 10 year old Fat Cat (so called because she's, well, fat). I even have a painted turtle (age undetermined) named Speed Racer because I'm just that cool. My last pet is my significant other, Joe. Sometimes I call him Schmoe in this blog because he doesn't like things written about him on the internet. Or bathroom walls.

5. My day job is in retail. The company's employee handbook states that I am not allowed to tell you where I work (nor would I want to) so I just call it The Store. I have a freakish talent for precision folding (and boy, am I glad!) and a truckload of contempt for the majority of my co-workers (whose names are also changed because the handbook also claims it bad form to not do this...). Remember what I said about the sarcasm? It's a method of survival some days. The handbook also insists that I tell you that the opinions listed in this blog are my own and they are in no way affiliated with me. Like anyone would think otherwise.

6. I watch a lot of television. If you've read one of my weekly reviews, you're already aware of this. I make no apologies for my viewing habits. I am proudly a slave to the idiot box and my shiny silver DVR. I love shows that make me laugh and shows that make me feel something. Shows that do both are particularly high on my list. This is part of the reason why I love Joss Whedon so very much.

7. I can't stand the Fox News Network. I can't even believe I posted a link to their site. However, I don't care if you love the Fox News Network. To each their own.

8. I harbor secret (well, not so secret now) hopes of becoming an international ass kicking superspy. My role models are Sydney Bristow and Emma Peel. My other role models who are, technically, not spies but who do certainly kick ass are Buffy Summers and River Tam.

9. I also harbor not so secret hopes of becoming some kind of defensive position player for the New England Patriots. Someone whose job it is to hit the opposition hard and land them flat on their backs. I think it would be the most awesome thing ever to tackle someone and bring them to the ground. Of course, I probably have a better shot at international superspy-dom as the truth remains that the padding and helmet alone weigh more than I do. Still, a girl can dream, right?

10. I am really rather obsessed with the Middle Ages, particularly weaponry. I am honestly in the market for a double bladed battle axe and a matching pair of short swords. I think they'll fit in nicely with the rest of my collection.

Well, there you have it. Ten thing to either love or hate about me. Or, ten things about which you feel absolutely nothing. At any rate, I hope this blog made you laugh at least once and I hope that you'll come by again and see what I'm ranting and raving about now.

Until then, I have to go fold some jeans and take the dogs to agility class.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, wanna know one reason why our daughter's name is River? Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah - the funny thing is that I totally didn't consider the possibility that your blog was about your pets after reading that title. My mind immediately jumped to the conclusion that the blog was your pet...

    And I work in retail too. I know EXACTLY what you mean about sarcasm as a method of survival!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think we are going to be good friends.

    i hate fox news. its parentally blocked on my tv just so that i dont sit and watch it and get high blood pressure.

    my husband has been a retail store manager forever. when i have worked (im a sahm mom right now), all ive ever done is retail. because of this, im really good at folding as well.

    ive yet to read 100 books a year, but keep trying. for the last 3 years ive hit the mid fifties, and thats with a few short graphic novels thrown in to make it easy. im a fast reader, i just dont have the time, unless i gave up TV which im not gonna do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you :) I enjoyed reading your blog, had to smile about the eggs though. That's a first I've heard of someone being afraid of eggs. What about egg substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  5. potpourri blog. i like that.
    so you'll talk about Firefly sometime? then i'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aleta- I considered egg substitute but the idea of it gives me the willys (willies?).

    Sarah- I will definitely be blogging about Firefly.

    Tammie- I'm not giving up television either.

    Thank you everyone for stopping by! I love chatting with new people.

    ReplyDelete