Sunday, October 24, 2010

Twist!


In the (completely wonderful and amazing) movie, Stranger Than Fiction, Emma Thompson's character says, "Like anything worth writing, it came inexplicably and without method."

She was talking about the solution to a problem she was having her with novel. She spends much of the movie trying to work out one tiny little detail (well, not so tiny. It was pretty major actually) and then the solution just comes to her out of nowhere and is absolutely perfect for the story.

Well, this is what happened to me this morning. I had a couple of quandaries where my WIP was concerned that I just couldn't work out. I had to get my characters from A to B but I couldn't work out a good enough reason for them to go to B. I had a lot of lame ass reasons but I wanted a really good reason. I don't much care for Deus Ex Machina and I like to avoid it when at all possible. I had a list of possible explanations written in my notebook (in full and complete sentences, mind you) but none of them was the right one. One of them inadvertently led me to the right answer though so it was good to know that page in my notebook was not written on in vain.

As with many of my Eureka! moments, this one happened in the shower. I was somewhere between shampoo and conditioner when it struck me and I had stop myself from screaming to Joe to come running in with a notebook and a pen to scribble down my brilliance lest it be washed down the drain with the cream rinse.

And, what's more is that this one solution opened up a gateway that I thought might have been rusted shut because it's been so long since anything good has come through it. Before the shower was over, I managed to solve another problem I was having with the book. Of course, the solution for this second problem had the misfortune of creating a new problem but it's not one I have to worry about solving right away. And, if it turns out that I'm wrong, there's always tomorrow's shower.

And then, as if solving two problems (and creating a third) weren't enough, I came up with a twist. A big ass twist for the series. One that will make all four of my fans go "Wait...what?" and then when they realized what just happened, it will make them go, "Nooooooooooooooo!"

I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope I can not screw up the rest of the series so I can employ the big ass twist because I am really excited about it. I really, really want to tell you about it too. I really, really want to tell someone about it (mostly because I'm a little afraid I'll never get it written beyond the notes in my notebook stage and it's too good to waste) but I hate spoilers so I guess I'll just have to tell the Dynamic Duo about it when everyone else is sleeping.

It's a really good one. I'm not exactly sure how I'll write it yet but I am really looking forward to giving it a go because it's that good. It's exciting and it's made me excited about writing it, and writing in general. This last bit is especially good because it's been a while since I've been excited about writing.

Excuse me while I do a little happy dance.

One last thing before I go...I know I said I'd be posting my TV Quotes Quiz but magical shower writing solutions will trump Quote Quizzes every time. Better luck tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment