Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sugar Rush


I'm a bit hyper right now.

Blame the candy corn. And the donuts. Yes, I had donuts this morning even though I have a massive amount of candy sitting on top of my refrigerator. I'm only expected a modest amount of trick or treaters so I'll have plenty left over to usher me into the breach tonight at midnight.

Until then, I am puttering around getting things done. Dishes, laundry (still not done, never is done) and the like. Right now Joe is vacuuming. Vacuuming in our house is like a contact sport because the Gator Girl is not fond of the vacuum. She used to hide from it but one day, she decided to attack it instead. It was an event for which I was unprepared. She's hiding in the kitchen right now and has yet to strike but it's coming. All you can do is be on the lookout for it. That, or stick her in the office and close the door.

So it's Halloween and I'm trying to decide what I should dress up as. I'm torn between the two scariest things of which I could think: a Yankees fan or a Colts fan.

The only problem is I don't actually have any Yankees or Colts memorabilia or clothing because I am a Boston Red Sox and New England Patriots fan.

Speaking of which, I am going to do something today. Something that scares the ever living daylights out of me.

I'm going to let Heather in my house when the Patriots are playing. And I'm telling you that I'm going to do it.

Heather, as a general rule, is banned from watching the Patriots, not only in my house but on any television set anywhere. And I'll tell you why. Whenever she does watch the Patriots, they have a horrible tendency to lose, or to experience a terrible season ending injury.

The first time this happened was the Superbowl. The Superbowl in which the undefeated Patriots were playing the New York Giants. Needless to say, we weren't undefeated by the end of the game. Needless to say, I wasn't all that happy.

The second time was the next season's opener. We were playing the Kansas City Chiefs. Seven minutes (approximately) into the game, Tom Brady was out for the entire frakking season.

It was then I stopped inviting Heather over on game days.

There was another time when she called me in the morning following a Patriots' loss. I don't remember what game it was although I probably should because the Pats are too excellent to lose that often. But whatever game it was we lost, Heather called me the following morning with a confession. She had watched the game at her sister's house.

And we lost.

I think she may now be banned from watching the Patriots at her sister's house too. And for good reason, I'd say (Heather, you know I love you. I just want you to stop jinxing my team. Jinx the Colts. Or the Steelers. Or the Jets. Just not the Pats, okay?).

So now you understand why I say that having her over today while the Pats are playing scares me so. And now you understand why telling you about it scares me even further. Because if my beloved Pats manage to lose today, you'll know whose fault it really is.

The defense.

Happy Halloween, all.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Heather!
    Our trick or treaters came Friday, so we've lots of leftover candy. I'm enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Heather was in residence and the Pats won so I guess the curse is broken.

    We celebrated by indulging in the leftover candy. We had cold and some snow and some very high winds tonight so we didn't end up with as many trick or treaters are usual. This is very bad news for my waistline.

    ReplyDelete