Thursday, September 23, 2010

Oh, What A Beautiful Morning


Despite my best efforts, I've been doing a little back sliding in to the doom and gloom world of my pre-hiatus life. I do not want to do this. Not in any way, shape or form because I really do love writing and I really do love creating and if I am not writing and not creating then I am just a precision folder at an outlet store and I did not do six years in college for that.

No, I did six years in college because I pretty much screwed around for two of them. Not like screwed around, screwed around or anything. Just, you know, didn't take it seriously.

Not that that relates really at all to this post because this post is all about what happened last night (yes, I know what the blog's title is).

In a last ditch effort to make something happen, I decided last night to pull one of my infamous all nighters. I said so to Joe and he said, "Why would you do that?"

I did that because the writing during the day thing wasn't working out so hot so it was time to change it up. Besides, I didn't have to work at The Store today so what did it matter if I was a useless lump of whatever lying around the couch all day? There are people who already think that's what I do all day so I might as well actually do it, right?

But anyway, yeah. All nighter.

I had to put the dogs to bed at 11pm because the Gator Girl is so schedule driven, she often times doesn't know what to do with herself past 11pm and is more annoying than anything else. So I sent her and Big up to the bedroom with their comatose father and shut the bedroom doors so they couldn't come looking for me later. Then I retreated to my office where I shut the door, turned on the iPod and then the computer.

And then, once I had checked in on Facebook and Amazon and ESPN and a few certain blogs I follow (Mark Reads Harry Potter!), I actually got down to work. Then a very strange thing happened.

I actually worked.

I know, right?

I was kicking ass and taking names and finishing scenes that, for the longest time, I have had no idea how to write. Things were coming together, chapters were being finished and I was actually happy (let me say that again: happy) with my work.

And I did all of this while being serenaded by the complete works of Metallica, Savatage and Tesla. My iPod was very heavy metal happy last night and was set up too far away for me to bother getting up and skipping them every time they showed up. I'm not really a heavy metal fan. I'm more into acoustic folk music lately (much to Joe's eternal delight) but I put a bunch of heavy metal music on the iPod so that when Joe and I are in the car driving somewhere and I insist on listening to my iPod, he doesn't necessarily want to kill himself before we reach our destination.

But that's really neither here nor there except that when I mentioned this morning to Joe how heavy metal happy the iPod had been, he immediately chalked up my writing success to Metallica, Savatage and Tesla. I'd like to go on record as saying this is unlikely. The only note I made on the music was that all of Metallica's songs sound alike to me. I realize this may irritate any die hard audiophiles who may be reading this blog but that's just the way it is.

But again, not really the point.

What the point is, however, is that it's now coming up on 10am and I have been awake for more than twenty four hours and I am really frakking happy with what I have accomplished this evening/morning. Of course, there remains the possibility that once I actually do sleep and come back to take another look at what I have done, I'll find nothing but stupid senseless acronyms.

But I don't think I will.

This? This is what was supposed to happen when I ended my hiatus at the beginning of the month. The pages of scintillating dialogue and riveting prose. This is what I've been waiting for.

The only drawback, and really it's such a minor one that it should not be in the least bit construed as a complaint, is that my dear sweet puppy dogs did sleep all night and have been incredibly worked up this morning (meaning more so than usual) because when they woke up, their mommy wasn't in the bedroom.

Joe actually complained about this because he was woken up much earlier than usual by the pitter patter of pacing puppy paws. And while I admit that there are mornings when I find this behavior less than charming, this particular morning, I am choosing to find it delightful.

Maybe I should be sleep deprived more often. What could possibly go wrong with that?

One last thing before I sign off and go collapse on my sofa (without breaking it, one hopes)... did you know, were you aware, that tomorrow is National Punctuation Day? Yeah, me neither.

But boy, am I looking forward to it.


3 comments:

  1. Okay, may be my imagination, but this post reads a bit hyper. You are on a high, girl! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice alliteration: pitter patter of pacing puppy paws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not your imagination, Helen. I was beyond hyper. I have since crashed, however. It only took 37 hours, but it happened.

    Thanks, Matryoshka. You know how I love alliteration. =)

    ReplyDelete