Friday, August 6, 2010

Accentuate The Positive

This blog has been a little doom and gloom of late. Maybe more than a little. So today, I have decided to write about the good things that are going on. They may be few and very, very small but they are still inherently good and today is all about the good.

First of all, I had my performance review at The Store this week. There were no real surprises. I still have a job (see, something good!) but I'm supposed to work on selling rewards cards and PWPs (purchase with purchase) to customers but since I have never done that (and never will), and management brings it up every year at this time, I wasn't all that surprised to hear them bring it up again. Other than that, they seem to like me (further proof none of them know this blog exists). I even worked hard enough to merit a raise this year, something not every employee was able to do. Last year, no one got raises so to hear that I had received a raise this year was unexpected. So yeah. I got a raise. Raises are good. Even when they're only a bump of twenty one cents an hour. I think this might be the lowest raise I have ever received in my long and illustrious retail career, but hey, it's still a raise and it's mine. Go me. And the best part is that I even managed to double my hours this week (thank you, wildly inaccurate shipping reports!) so next pay period, I might get a check that isn't a complete embarrassment to take to the bank.

I hate my new phone less. I received my first call yesterday and missed it because I didn't realize that was my phone ringing. I thought it was on television. Then, when my friend called a second time (she has learned to call me twice in a row as I am more often than not looking for the phone when she calls the first time), it took me a little while to figure out how to answer the phone as it had not occurred to me to figure this out ahead of time. But the pieces are certainly falling into place. All right, so maybe my contact list has disappeared into the ether and I can't seem to get it to stop beeping every time I receive a new email and the NFL app I downloaded keeps forgetting that my favorite team is New England and not Indianapolis, but I did get to check my email at work today (only on my lunch break, I swear!) and update my Facebook status with it so that was pretty cool. But don't tell Joe I said so...

I am going on vacation soon to my current favorite spot in the world (I have to say current because I haven't been everywhere in the world. At least not yet.). We're headed to Bar Harbor, Maine in about a week and a half. We've gone there every summer for the past couple of years and I love it. This summer, Joe thought he might not be able to go as he was summoned for jury duty during our vacation period. Fortunately, the county court was willing to reschedule. To November. I think it is now Joe's ambition to move before then.

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay will be released at the end of the month. This is a Very Good thing as I have been waiting a while to find out what is going to happen with her characters. If you haven't read her novels (Hunger Games and Catching Fire), you really should because they are more than excellent reads. Don't be put off by that "young adult" stigma. Read them. You won't be sorry.

What else? Oh yeah, Jacoby Ellsbury is back in the lineup and is still as adorable as ever. So maybe his performance at the plate hasn't been stellar, but it's only his second game back. Mike Lowell is back which is also good news. Josh Beckett turned in a stellar performance against the Cleveland Indians and managed to score his first ejection in the same night. Big Papi hit a grand slam last weekend.

Switching gears a little, Wes Welker is at training camp, you know, training which really did thrill me to no end. He's my favorite Pats player right now. Sure, Tom Brady's hot but I heart Wes Welker. This season's gonna be THE season, I can feel it!

Oh, and last but not least, today is my friend Heidi's birthday. We've been friends for a long, long time. High school, you know? Junior High, even. We always manage to have a good time together, even when we're sitting in a bus station in Rochester, New York at two in the morning. Or trying to sell Rainbow vacuum cleaners over the phone (they clean everything with water but don't get anything wet!) Or stealing things from Denny's (all right, so that wasn't Heidi, just me) or stealing things from Chuck E. Cheese's (again, not Heidi...but she is often the getaway driver which makes her indispensable to me). Or sitting in McDonald's or Friendly's eating junk food and discussing the finer points of English literature. Going to watch Aladdin instead of going to our junior prom, going to the senior prom, marching band (wait...was that ever a good time?), running track (all right, she ran, me not so much. I sort of limped behind), band trips to Florida and Washington D.C., playing games of Taboo and eating our weight in Smarties. Bowling. And so much more! She's really been a great friend. Here's to growing old and gray, together...not that we will ever do that, of course because we will be (what age was it that we decided on?) twenty five (?) forever and ever. Happy Birthday, Heidi!!

And now, in celebrate of all things positive, I am going to make myself a batch of chocolate chip muffins and eat them all. Because I can.

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend.

3 comments:

  1. A fun post. Happy Birthday to Heidi. Congratulations on your raise. Have fun on your vacation. The phone will grow on you and you'll learn to love it. And tell Joe that I totally sympathize on the jury duty. I got called for grand jury duty for August and September, but I asked to be excused for so many days that they just bumped me to November and December.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post to read. (I love that you're hating your new phone less - very funny.)

    Did you eat all the chocolate chip muffins?

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did eat all the chocolate chip muffins. I am nothing if not determined. And quite full.

    ReplyDelete