Thursday, July 22, 2010

Television Week In Review (Week Ending 7/23/10)

Sunday

Joe and I watched The Blind Side. I know there's some controversy surrounding the film regarding the validity of the story and I don't know much more than that. I decided to watch the movie as a movie which probably sounds strange. I decided to judge it as is. It was funnier than I thought it was going to be and I didn't realize that Tim McGraw played Sandra Bullock's husband until I saw his name in the credits. Sorry...I'm not much of a country music fan. I really enjoyed Sandra Bullock's performance.

Monday

The Closer: I thought last week's premiere was just strange. It felt off to me and some of the scenes felt like it was a high school production. This week's episode was much better, I thought. It's always interesting when Captain Raydor (played by Mary McDonnell) stops in for a visit and the end scene was really pretty tense. I was reasonably assured Brenda, being the show's title character, would be all right but still, it was intense.

Tuesday

Hell's Kitchen: Joe and I started watching this show this summer for the first time. And, except for the egg challenge that forced me out of the room, it's been a pretty entertaining show. Why do they continue to argue with Chef Ramsey? Well, whatever the reason, I'm glad they do because it makes for fun television. I think Holly might end up taking it all. My early money was on Ben but since both Ramsey and Ramsey's assistant (tall bald guy) spent the most of the episode screaming "You can't lead!", peppered with a variety of profanity, I think he might not be able to pull it off. So now I'm rooting for Holly.

Covert Affairs: The new spy show on the USA network. The absolute bright spot is Christopher Gorham playing Auggie, the blind op tech guy. Joe and I spent most of this episode saying things like, "Sydney Bristow wouldn't have done that." I'm calling this show Alias Lite because that's what it is. I really wish Annie would stop narrating what she's doing to the audience. Like the car chase scene in the pilot episode where she was running through her training acronyms she learned at the Farm. Also, her sister is a pain in the ass. Bring on Francie and Will. And Sydney Bristow. Seriously, if you've never seen Alias, you should. At least the first two to four seasons. Skip the fifth season. It's just silly.

Wednesday

So You Think You Can Dance: Well, I think Kent is going to win this season at a walk. But since Alex was knocked out due to injury, I don't much care. Billy Bell didn't dance tonight because of injury. I don't know what's going on over at that show this season but they should really look into it. Anyway, I enjoyed Sonya Tayeh's dance on the edge although I would have rather seen Alex or Billy dance the male role. Sorry, Jose, but I think it's time for you to leave the show.

Psych: Oh, how I love this show. Last week featured a hysterical John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt joke (all right, at least I found it to be hysterical, so much so that I still remember it). This week, everyone switched partners. Dule Hill can really tap dance...good for him!

Thursday

Community: I recorded this episode because although it's a rerun, it's one I didn't see the first time around. However, my enjoyment of this episode has been postponed due to the visitation of my niece, Jupiter.

So You Think You Can Dance Results: Same here.

Burn Notice: Same here.

Royal Pains: This one too.

3 comments:

  1. We still like to watch Hell's Kitchen. Never a dull moment. We also like Monsters Inside Us on the Animal Channel.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Monsters Inside Us but I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know...I just read an episode description on Monsters Inside Us and I don't think I can bring myself to watch it. My significant other would love it though.

    ReplyDelete