Monday, March 29, 2010

80%

At least I think it's eighty percent. There's another reason why I fancy myself a writer and not a mathematician. But I'm sure if I've done the math wrong, one of you out there will let me know so I can make the necessary corrections.

The eighty percent (or possible eighty percent) is in reference to the goals I set myself at the start of last Monday. Five things I wanted to have completed by the start of this Monday. They were:

1. Work out on the Wii Fit at least three times for thirty minutes each time.

2. Get the Gator Girl to clear an eleven foot broad jump. Weather permitting, of course.

3. Cross the 70K word mark in Second Nature.

4. Finish reading The Keepers of Sulbreth by Susan Gourley and The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner.

5. Send out the Effigy submission packet I said I was going to send out, you know, before now.

And I completed four of those goals. Thus the eighty percent. I'm pretty sure that's right. The math, I mean. I know I completed four of the five goals.

I worked out on the Wii three times. I ran yesterday. My Wii guide was one of the Wii dogs. I don't know if that means I did well. I did so well on the jackknife exercise that I was able to unlock the new exciting jackknife challenge. I have no idea what the jackknife challenge entails but I'm looking forward to soon finding out. At least I think I am...is there such a thing as Ab Splints? I guess I'll find that out too...

I crossed the 70,000 word mark on Second Nature. Just barely, mind you, but I made it over that line. I'm working on some back story for one of my central male leads, the one who has been missing for a good chunk of time now. It's been an interesting journey and I'm curious to see where I end up. I'm hoping I'll find my protagonist at the end of it.

I also finished reading The Keepers of Sulbreth by Susan Gourley and The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner. Now I need to read a happy book. Maybe a nice trashy romance novel.

And I also managed to get that pesky submissions packet out into the world. Maybe it come back with glad tidings (Note to any potential editors and/or agents and/or publishers out there: I know this blog is often times snarky and sarcastic and moody and oh, all right, down right mean, but I swear I'd be an absolute dream with which to work.)...

Thus, by process of elimination, that would mean the goal I did not complete this week was teaching the Gator Girl to complete a eleven foot broad jump. I'd like to place the blame on the weather. We had a couple of days of wind and rain and a little spitting snow. Then we had one really bad day of wind and more wind and standing outside was like what I imagine standing in a sandstorm to feel like. There was one relatively warm and sunny day but I thought the back yard was still too wet for broad jumping. The Gator Girl tears up the lawn when it's not soft and mushy so I thought we might be better off waiting a little bit longer. Instead, we worked on bite work in the living room. I received some spectacular bruises but certainly not my most impressive ones ever. I really need to get some better padding.

So, there you have it. I like setting goals. I also simultaneously hate setting goals because then I become demon possessed about achieving said goals. But I suppose that is a good thing. What good is it to set goals if you don't give a damn about reaching them?

That said, here are my goals for this coming week:

1. Get the new look for my website up and running. So don't panic if, one day, you show up and everything's new. You're not in the wrong place. I just needed a change. This blog's look, by the way, won't change.

2. Cross the 80K word mark in Second Nature. I feel like this is the goal that's going to kill me this week. Especially because of that website goal. Oh well. Aim big or go home, right?

3. Work out on the Wii Fit at least three times this week. Attempt the possibly scary jackknife challenge.

4. Read a trashy bodice ripping romance novel.

5. Get the snow tires taken off my car and the regular season tires put back on. Have the oil changed at the same time.


Anyway, I hope everyone out there had a pleasant weekend. Happy Monday...

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the goals! And yes, it was 80%. I finished the Keepers of Sulbreth this weekend as well. Great read. I'm looking forward to the next one, but have to wait until January. Congrats on crossing the 70k mark! That's awesome. Keep on plugging away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the next Futhark Chronicles book coming out in January? I'll mark on my calendar.

    ReplyDelete