Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Somewhere An Ent Is Plotting My Demise...

So, for the last week and a half, the arborist has been here cutting down trees which mean that, for the last week and a half, the dogs have been barking in an attempt, perhaps, to protect me. I say that because one afternoon when Joe was home with them during the tree cutting hours, they very seldom barked. But when I'm home with them and Shane the arborist is doing his thing, tweedle dee and tweedle dum bark. And then bark some more. I am currently writing this blog with my headphones on because I just can't listen to it anymore.

Shane and his one man crew show up every morning between 9 and 10 and work until about 3pm. On Monday, Shane came and plowed part of my back yard so he could move the industrial chipper into it. So he and his guy were parked right outside my office windows which meant there was no work getting done that day. They were also parked right outside my bathroom window which meant I really didn't want to take a shower in my bathroom that morning. It just felt weird so I had to go upstairs and use Joe's bathroom. I don't like using Joe's bathroom because it's cold, damn freaking cold, but it's also on the second floor and closer to the bedroom so I figured it would be less weird. But when I went, wearing only my towel, into the bedroom to get dressed, I found myself looking right at Shane who was in the process of de-limbing one of the big pines and looking right into my bedroom window back at me because I had opened the shades that morning when I got up.

Shane waved. I waved. Then I closed the shades.

"Maybe you should've dropped your towel," Joe said when I told him. "Maybe we could've gotten a break on price then."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the man I consider to be the love of my life. If only I could remember why that is.

Anyway, the price to which Joe referred is the $300 we are now in for on this project because Joe asked Shane how much it would be to take down two giant pines we always worry about falling on the house during a bad storm. Shane said that since he was already here doing the work, he'd take them both down for $900 but would take just the one closest to the house for $600. We decided to pass but apparently, Shane mentioned this to Marie who then offered to split the cost of the two trees with us. Shane told me this, and quoted me a price of $300 (guess he forgot he quoted us $900 for two) for the removal of both trees. Joe and I said yes to this. Seemed kind of like a no-brainer.

Today they appear to be taking down the two big pines. They showed up at 8am with the logging truck on which to load all the trees they've been dropping and leaving in my yard. The dogs and I just watched Shane shimmy up the biggest pine (the one closest to my bedroom windows) and attach a rope to it so I assume it's coming down next. It's cold today and rather windy so I imagine it's a fantastic day to be cutting down trees but I'm really hoping the earlier arrival and the appearance of the logging truck means that this will be the final day.

Not that Shane and his one man crew haven't been great. Oh. The house just shook. I'm guessing that means the biggest pine is now history.

This is a good sign. Trees are coming down and being loaded up, never to be seen again. Please, oh please, let this be the last day.

My head thanks you.

No comments:

Post a Comment