Monday, November 9, 2009

The Worst Story Ever Told

So, we're in Week Two of NaNoWriMo. Before we started, it was recommended that we tell everyone we know we were doing this project because it would be the only thing keeping us from quitting in week two. And so now here I am, in week two, and while I don't particularly want to quit, I have hit a wall.

Today's daily word goal is 15,000. I am somewhere around the 12,000 word mark. I think a story may be coming together, slow but surely, I hope a story's coming together.

While I wait, I'm reading. I'm currently checking out Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. It's a book about writing a fellow aspiring writer friend of mine recommended to me. I found myself in the pages of her introduction. Today I found myself in the chapter entitled Plot.

She says not to force it. Just let your characters do what they're going to do and eventually, amidst the ashes and whatnot, a plot will, like a phoenix, arise.

So that's what I'm doing. Waiting. Letting my character meander around, doing random things and having random conversations.

It's not my best work ever (Thus the whole 'worst story ever told' title). But it's all right because that's the point of NaNoWriMo. Lamott talks about that too, the shitty first draft. Just get it all out, get it down on paper (or word processor as the case may be) and later on, you can sift through the crap to find the gold.

And while I'm not sure I'll ever do anything with this NaNoWriMo project after November 30th, it's still good advice to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Just get it out. Look for the good stuff later.

    I considered joining, but I just don't have the time to devote to NaNoWriMo, but a bunch of the people in my writer's group do it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete