Monday, November 23, 2009

Ouch.

So I stabbed myself at work today with my box cutter. Now before you panic, especially you, mom, it sounds a whole hell of a lot worse than it really was. It didn't break skin. It didn't even make a dent in my pull over hoodie. But I think it bruised something because, man oh man, is there a spot on my rib cage that hurts like hell.

Guess that's why they tell you to not cut toward yourself. Lesson learned. Well, actually, that's not true. Lesson not learned. I still cut toward myself. Just as I will continue to scale the stockroom shelves without the aid of a ladder. I'm a maverick. Or maybe just stupid. Toss up, really.

I'm also positive that it was an accident and not some sort of unconscious attempt to get myself out of work. But I can't be sure. It was another of those mornings at work. One of those This Place Is A Huge Waste of My Time mornings. I wanted to be home working on my NaNoWriMo project (about which I will talk momentarily). I didn't want to be there processing a shipment containing 61 boxes of mini ice scrapers and a buttload of short sleeved tee shirts.

We don't need short sleeved tee shirts. It's the end of freaking November, for crying out loud. The shirts won't make it to the sales floor until January at the earliest so why do I need to store them in an already crowded stock room until then? Can't the distribution center just send them at the end of December? Or the beginning of January?

By the way, we also don't need 61 boxes of mini ice scrapers. I don't think we ever sell any. People mostly just steal them. So now I need them to steal 61 more boxes of them.

Anyway, moving on...

There is officially one week left in the NaNoWriMo project. According to their word count, my novel should be at 38,333 words by midnight tonight. My novel is currently sitting at 38,901. That's right...I'm actually ahead.

Someone go check and see if hell's frozen over...go ahead. I'll wait...

I still like the story and I'm confident I'll have little to no problem in reaching the 50,000 word mark, which is a far cry from what I was thinking back in the first week of this project. I think I'll need even more words than 50,000 to finish telling the story properly. This is not a problem, according to the NaNoWriMo FAQ's. Good, because I'm confident in saying that I'm going to need them.

I will also need a new title. It's currently called "Choose Your Own Adventure" which was a great story for the original concept (what little there was of it...) but now the story has evolved, as stories sometimes do, and the title really doesn't fit anymore. I have no idea what I'll call it though. That, however, I am less concerned with.

I was browsing the website last night and stumbled onto a list of published books that came out of the NaNoWriMo experiment. The one that really caught my attention was Sara Gruen's novel Water For Elephants. I haven't read it yet but keep meaning to borrow it from my sister to read it. I want to do just that even more now, knowing it's a NaNoWriMo baby. Her novel Flying Changes was also a NaNoWriMo baby, back in 2005.

Pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment