Sunday, November 1, 2009

October 2009 Book Report

Green Rider- Kristen Britain- So I really wanted to like this book, I really, really did. She’s a Maine fantasy writer who lives on Mount Desert Island. I really, really wanted to like this. But I didn’t. It didn’t feel like very sophisticated fantasy for me. There were parts that made me want to rewrite it and parts that just felt too…fantasy for me, which sounds weird, I know, but I like fantasy that makes you forget you’re reading a fantasy novel. George R.R. Martin does that very well and sometimes Terry Goodkind (although I do think he suffers from an overuse of Deux Ex Machine) does as well. This felt forced at times and just irritating at others. For example, a part at the end had me rolling my eyes because there was a group of the white hats on their way to save the city from the black hats and they’re like stopping for a historical sight seeing tour. I know fantasy writers develop these worlds and detailed histories for their worlds but there are better ways to get the information out there. That said, I’ll read the rest of them. It’s what I do.

The Professional- Robert B. Parker- The latest Spenser novel. There were many funny moments in this book. One, in particular, right at the beginning of chapter seventeen that I really want to write here but I don’t think my sister has read this one yet and I don’t want to ruin it for her. Anyway, liked the humor. I’ve been somewhat anti-Susan of late and this book doesn’t do a whole hell of a lot to change my mind (guess I never really got over Valediction and A Catskill Eagle…) but if she makes Spenser happy, I guess I can deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment