Monday, November 30, 2009

NaNoWriMo Wrap Up

Well, it's official. I am a winner of the 2009 NaNoWriMo. I officially submitted my manuscript at 5pm EST and was declared a winner with 52,209 words.

So now what do I do?

Well, blog about it, of course, right?

It was a crazy experience and really, I can't wait until next November so I can try it again. I never thought I would manage to hit the 50,000 word mark way back at the beginning of the month when I started out on this journey. Nor did I think I would ever want to do anything with this manuscript come December 1st but, you know what? I like my story a lot. Well, I like parts of it a lot and I think I really want to try to turn it into a viable project and not just an experiment in shitty first drafts.

I am guilty of not writing an ending for the book because I don't know how it ends yet. But fortunately for me, the NaNoWriMo people, nor their word counting robots, care about that. I hit the magic word count number and that's all that matters.

The story also took a turn I didn't see coming. I was just writing this scene toward the end, just kind of trying to use up words and all of a sudden, it just...changed.

I love it when that happens because I think it's just damn cool but at the same time, I hate it when that happens because I am left a little slack jawed and thinking "Uh...great. Now what?"

So while I don't exactly have an answer for that particular question, I'm not going to worry about it tonight. No, tonight I am going to watch the New England Patriots take on the unbeaten New Orleans Saints.

But maybe I'll worry about it tomorrow.

Top Ten Things I Learned From NaNoWriMo

1. Sleep is for sissies.

2. I am a sissy.

3. It is possible to write a good 30,000 words without any semblance of a plot.

4. Stories almost always end up somewhere you didn't predict.

5. I cannot bring myself to use the phrase "swollen penis" or "quivering member" or "pulsating manhood." At least not at 3am.

6. I used the letter 'a' more than 12,000 times during the course of my novel.

7. I used the letter 'y' even more.

8. I know I am really getting attached to a story when I start building a story specific soundtrack.

9. I really do love writing dialogue.

10. This was probably the most fun I've had when writing in a long time.


Tune in later this week, kids, to read an exclusive excerpt from my untitled and unfinished and unedited NaNoWriMo Project.

Until then, a good night to one and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment