Monday, August 17, 2009

Why Can't We All Just Get Along?

I took a little writing detour this past week. I meant to finish up my synopsis (You know, like I've been meaning to do all year long, but who's counting, right?) but there was something else in my head that needed to get out. I needed to write something else for a little while and thus the detour.

I ended up working on a potential scene for Second Nature, the sequel to Effigy. I've been writing just random scenes for it lately so that when I do finally finish my synopsis and start submitting, I'll have a lot to work with while I wait. A lot of these scenes will probably never see the light of day. They'd be the extended and deleted scenes one would find on a DVD.

But some of them might make the cut. I'm not quite sure yet. You see, I really don't know where this story's going anymore. It's taking on a life of its own and I'm just along for the ride. It happened with Effigy and I'm reasonably happy (You know, for me anyway) with how that story turned out so I have reason to expect Second Nature will also end up in a good place but here's the thing: All the characters are just so angry. They're angry and they seem to be acting out in ways I hadn't thought they would.

If you're not a regular reader of my blog, you might be wondering how such a thing is even possible. I am supposed to be the master of my own universe, right? And I am. At least in theory. In reality, it's more of a crap shoot.

So yeah, I'm surrounded by angry, angry characters.

Not that any of them really have a whole lot of reason to be happy. If you've read Effigy, you'll recognize this as truth. And in the first draft of Second Nature, they were angry but now they seem to be feeling a deeper, darker anger than before.

They are mad as hell and they're not going to take it anymore.

I don't know if I like it but, at the same time, I don't know that I don't like it. It's just...new and unexpected.

It's hard to talk about it in abstract. It's probably harder to read about it in abstract. But short of posting full on scenes, there's not a whole lot I can do about that. The abstract is safer. Less spoiler-ish and I am spoiler-phobic.

But anyway, it's made me wonder how the hell I'm going to get them back on track. A lot of the fighting needs to somehow give way to resolution and forgiveness and sunshine and puppy dog tails. It needs give way to alliance. Otherwise, things do not look promising for Team Good. This probably has Team Not So Good in an ecstatic state. I haven't looked in on them lately so I can't be sure what their scheming little hearts (provided they have hearts, scheming or otherwise...) are up to.

Yes, it's true. I've been ignoring the black hats because the heroes of my piece all seem to be free falling and trying to poke out the eyes of their compatriots on their way down. Maybe I should slip some Prozac into the water source. Or install a Valium salt lick in the center of hero headquarters.

But since those things would be, at the very least, anachronistic (is that even a word? I mean, I know 'anachronism' is a word but is 'anachronistic'?), my current plan is to ride out this tidal wave of resentment and hope I end up on some lovely tropical white sand beach, greeted by a shirtless well built sun kissed mai tai wielding cabana boy bearing a remarkable resemblance to Jacoby Ellsbury.

So I've got my arm floaties on and I am ready to take the plunge. And should it happen that I end up somewhere less desirable, I've got a pharmaceutical rep on speed dial.

No comments:

Post a Comment