Sunday, August 2, 2009

July 2009 Book Report

Fade- Lisa McMann- The sequel to WAKE. Still a cool book. In fact, the only thing wrong with it is knowing that now I have to wait until February to read the next one.

Sliver of Truth- Lisa Unger- The second in the Ridley Jones canon. I’d read the first one last year I think when I was befriended on myspace by Ms. Unger. It’s a pretty interesting story. I especially liked the part where Ridley produces a piece of paper and a pen seemingly out of nowhere. It’s explained that Ridley is a writer and they seldom go far without those things. I liked it because it’s so very true. Curious if there are more or will be more in the series.

If I Stay- Gayle Forman- Another of those hot young adult novels that has people buzzing. It was a very good story although I think I was left slightly disappointed because there had been so much buzz about it. I always seem to have higher expectations than I should in those situations, but still, a good strong story.

Night And Day- Robert B. Parker- The newest Jesse Stone novel. Starts off weird and gets even more so. Jesse finally tells Jenn to take a hike. Liked that part. Sunny Randall makes an appearance and we find out that she had to have her dog, Rosie, put down. I liked that part less. I mean, I don’t much like Sunny Randall, but I still felt sad for her.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- J.K. Rowling- Had to re-read this one because the movie’s opening up tomorrow. Still love it. I think one of my favorite scenes is when the minister of magic shows up at the Weasleys’ Christmas dinner and tries to recruit Harry. And then its follow up scene when Harry relates the happenings of that conversation to Dumbledore. Some damn fine writing.

Roses Are Red- James Patterson- One of the Alex Cross novels. They’re a decent read, short chapters, pretty well paced story, just nothing that really blows my mind, although this particular novel did contain an ending twist I really didn’t see coming. I’ll probably read others that follow this book just because of the twist.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- J.K. Rowling- If you really thought there was a chance that I’d reread the sixth book and not move on to the seventh, then you’re very naive.

My Sister's Keeper- Jodi Picoult- Read this book because I was interested in seeing the movie. I heard the screenwriter changed the ending of the book, which had some people in an uproar, so I wanted to read the book so I could understand what all the hubbub was all about. Well, the book is incredibly powerful and emotional. Spent a lot of time getting teary eyed even before the ending. I was concerned about some of Anna’s narratives…like wondering if a thirteen year old would really have the depth that Anna’s narratives some times had, but she’s a kid who’s been through a lot, you know, so maybe she would. Anyway, it’s a very good book. I had the courtroom part figured out beforehand but I never did see that ending coming. I have that experience a lot with Picoult’s books…makes for interesting reading. Looking forward to seeing the movie so I can compare the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment