Monday, March 16, 2009

Reading Quest

So, I read, on average, sixty books a year which I thought was always a decent number of books to read each year. That comes out to five books a month which is little over a book a week. But then I joined Facebook. Since then, I've befriended people who read well more than sixty books a year. They read one hundred books a year. One person said she used to read about two hundred books a year but then she had kids and since then, she's only been able to manage about half that.

What???

How does anyone read that many books? I really don't understand it. I mean, I read a lot. I'm constantly reading something. I'm constantly reading lots of something and still, I can only manage sixty books a year. How do these people fit in the other forty? So now I have a new goal. I have to read one hundred books. I'm thinking about reading a lot of young adult fiction, the kind of books I can just read in a couple of hours. More Janet Evanovich or something. I can usually read her books in a few hours too. Any books, really, in which one does not have to worry about any deeper meanings. Face valus books. Popsicle books. My reading teacher will be so very happy.

I don't know how else to do it. What are these people reading? I mean, am I just stupid or slow or something? Like, right now, I'm reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, Saturday by Ian McEwan, Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and Three Willows by Ann Brashares. Three out of four of these books are not novels that (I think anyway) are ones people can (or maybe should) just breeze through. They're books where one should revel in the language and just marvel at the talent that went into the writing of it.

I am floored. I am flabbergasted. I am at a loss. But I'm still going to try and do it. This probably does not bode well for the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. This probably does not bode well for my writing goals. Oh crap. If I don't finish my synopsis in the next month, I'll be stuck reading nothing but Jane Austen novels. That, certainly, does not bode well for my brand new book goal. Hello, Vicious Circle. I think we've been here before.

Well, gotta go. Can't blog...must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment