Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March '09 Book Review

The Other Queen- Philippa Gregory- A novel about Mary, Queen of Scots and her imprisonment in England. Definitely not my favorite.

A Wrinkle In Time- Madeleine L'Engle- After I posted my list of influential authors, it was pointed out to me by a friend that a fantasy writing English teacher should most definitely have read this book. Which I never did, so I went to the library and checked it out. I wish I had read it when I was a kid because I probably would have liked it more.

Three Willows- Ann Brashares- The next generation of Sisterhood books. It’s all right, a harmless book, nothing new or exciting, certainly.

Edenville Owls- Robert B. Parker- His first novel for young adults. I could see a lot of Spenser in the main character. I missed the snappy dialogue from his other novels. There were some funny lines, but it wasn’t the same.

Lord of the Flies- William Golding- This is one of those books a lot of kids read in high school but I think my class read A Separate Peace instead. It’s really quite the experience. I can’t imagine what I would’ve thought of it had I read this in high school. There’s some really horrible happenings going on in this book. Anyway, the character, Ralph, made me reflect on one of my own protagonists quite a bit. I’ll be interested to see what comes of it.

Wintergirls- Laurie Halse Anderson- Her latest novel for young adults. This one concerns a girl struggling with anorexia and the death of her friend. There is some truly beautiful, powerful writing in these pages.

Dead Until Dark- Charlaine Harris- The first Sookie Stackhouse novel, the books the new Showtime Series “True Blood” has been based on. Gave this book to a friend for Christmas and when it showed up at the library, I thought I’d read it. It was all right. Certainly didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either. It’s weird. Like, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy had sex with vampires. Two of them and that didn’t weird me out. Then I read Breaking Dawn and this book, where the heroines have sex with one vampire and I was just- I don’t know what I was exactly but I guess I’ve decided I am firmly against sex with the undead. Unless the undead is David Boreanaz. Then I’d have to rethink that. Anyway, I’ll likely read the rest of the titles in this series because that’s what I do.

Twilight- Stephenie Meyer- Another vampire book…but one in which the vamp and his girl do not have sex….no, they’re going to wait until they’re married and then they’ll have a little half vamp baby monster thing…but I’m getting ahead of myself. I reread this book because the movie was on my Netflix list and it showed up so I thought I’d refresh my memory or whatever before watching the film. I read the book for the first time last year, almost a year ago, and while I had issues with parts of it, I thought overall it was a pretty good young adult book. This time, however, I thought it was terrible. Beyond terrible. I’m thinking maybe my extreme disgust for the fourth book has since colored my views on the rest. Anyway, the one good thing I could say about it is that it’s slightly better than the movie.

New Moon- Stephenie Meyer- It's a sickness. Don't judge.

Eclipse- Stephenie Meyer- Told you it was a sickness. Debating whether to finish the series off by re-reading the book that made me hate all the rest.

Well, that does it for March...I read ten books this month, for a year long total of twenty five books. That means I have to read seventy five more...Gotta be honest with you, I don't think I can do it. Not if I hope to write anything this year. Which I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment