Sunday, March 1, 2009

February '09 Book Report

Marley & Me- John Grogan- Woo Hoo! I read another non fiction book! This book made me laugh, annoyed me (the part where the dog first gets kicked out of obedience class…I mean, what kind of instructor kicks a dog out of obedience class for not being obedient? The crappy kind, that’s who.), and then, at the end, made my eyes water for a while before it became just full on crying. The best part of the book, however, was me sitting on the couch, bookended by two of my very best friends in the world.

Agincout- Bernard Cornwell- his latest book, obviously about Henry V’s battle at Agincourt, told through the eyes of a young archer. Felt a lot like the Grail series to me, the archer’s quest and his rise from being an outlaw to something greater. I didn’t like it as much as his other books but it was still a fairly good read.

Fever 1793- Laurie Halse Anderson- Well, truth be told, I prefer her young adults books more, such as Speak or Twisted but this is a perfectly good historical fiction book for kids. The back of the book says ages 10 and up. It took me about an hour and a half to get through it. It tells the story of a young girl in post revolutionary war Philadelphia during the summer Yellow Fever came to town and wiped out about ten percent of the population. The main character, Mattie, is one to be rooted for, so I would definitely recommend this book.

Keeping Faith- Jodi Picoult- I bought this book for a friend for Christmas this year and then discovered I had a copy on my bookshelf (I think I borrowed it from Wendy a while ago…Sorry, Wendy…). It’s a very interesting read. It really is. I’ve read a couple others by this same author and was riveted but there were still moments that played false to me. This book didn’t really have any of those moments. I also liked seeing the use of the present tense as well as Picoult’s shift from first person point of view to third person point of view.

Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson- Read this book one night when I couldn’t sleep. I picked it up because I’d been thinking about influential authors (another Facebook time waster...I'll post it here soon.) and she came right to mind. This is an amazingly powerful book. If you haven’t read it, you should. And, after you read it, you should read Anderson’s article about why/how she wrote this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment