Monday, October 2, 2017

October Daze

You probably have noticed this already, but it's October, y'all. October.

I've mostly been slacking off the last two months. You may have guessed that because of my near total lack of blogging, but it's now October (seriously, how is it October already?), which marks the start of my (unfortunately) annual scramble to accomplish some goals before the end of the year. At this moment in time, the only goal I'm in line to actually finish before 2017 is up is my reading goal. I'd like to add to that. If I can.

Which means that the buckling down starts now. Well, in theory, anyway. I could very well decide to binge watch Battlestar Galactica or something because I'm me and that would be just like me.



The Number One item on my To-Do List is, of course, Second Nature. I'm pretty sure that the last time I brought it up on this blog, I was bemoaning my never-ending revisions and edits. But here's something I don't think I told anyone: I actually wrapped up those revisions and edits and sent Second Nature to the proofreader.

The manuscript went out at the start of August and was supposed to be back in early September but Hurricane Irma had other plans. (Whatever, Irma.) My proofreader is located down in South Florida, and between her day job in public safety and her own storm recovery efforts, my manuscript has been delayed. And then delayed some more. It happens. The new goal, the last I heard, is to have it back in my hands this week.

I haven't heard much about how it's going, but I'm guessing that despite my best efforts to eliminate as many typos/errors as possible, I've made waaaaaaaay too many mistakes. You know, the kind that will piss me off when I see them because it's the kind of thing I really should have caught earlier.

But that is why we have proofreaders, right? To find those mistakes we no longer see because we know what the manuscript should say and not always what it actually does say.

The only thing the proofreader said thus far (besides apologizing for the hurricane) is that she hopes that I'm currently hard at work on Book Three (aka, Full Circle) because she really needs to know what happens next. So at least the story itself is passing muster?

Maybe, anyway. Only time (and her notes...) will tell.



Also on the agenda is that possibly-ill-fated, maybe-not-a-romance novel I've mentioned a few times. Its working title is Vinnie & Ellie, and I really want to complete the draft by the end of the year. That's it. That's all I'm aiming to do. (This year, anyway...) I want to fill in the blank spaces and fill out the plot (once I figure out what that actually is...) and do whatever I need to do to just complete the draft.

I suspect my poor, unsuspecting critique partners will be instrumental in helping me do this. We were all off doing various summer-vacation-type things for the last two months, but we're all back in town now so our meetings should be resuming soon. I plan to send them as many scenes as they can tolerate. I love these two ladies, and if there's anyone who can help me figure this thing out, it'll be them.



And should there be any time left over (Ha! she scoffed), I would like to complete Part One of Full Circle. Its official storyboard is up and running, even if it only covers the first twelve chapters (I'm also rocking three other storyboards, so the wall space in my office is running out. I'm going to have to either finish some projects (Ha!) or start using the dining room walls soon.).

I have a sort of plan figured out for Part One, but because of the way Second Nature ended, (which is to say unexpectedly...) I've been pantsing things (which sounds funny. I trust that you're writers and you know what I'm actually saying). I'm just kind of throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

But the writing itself is not going particularly well at the moment. And yes, that is partially because knowing anyone out there actually wants to read this book is totally stressing me out. Because I am a freak who cannot deal.

But that's another blog post for another day.




To recap, here are my goals for the month:

1. Complete edits for Second Nature. This is, of course, entirely dependent on me receiving said edits. But should they appear in my inbox, they will become my first priority (after my pets' needs, naturally. The Man can order pizza.).

2. Get in contact with the book designer/formatter and the cover artist, in the event that the edits actually arrive and I actually get them finished. Should I feel ready to move on to the next step, I want to make sure I'm in a position to actually do it.

3. Put the finishing touches on Second Nature's blurb. For the same reasons listed above.

4. In time not spend working on the above, I will work on completing the first draft of Vinnie & Ellie and send fifteen pages to the critique group for their perusal each and every time we meet.

5. In any time leftover (again, Ha!), attempt to make some headway on Full Circle. But, really, this is more a goal for the remainder of the year.

6. Walk at least 3 miles a day. Because otherwise I'll just become part of  my desk chair.


Thanks for stopping by today, everyone! What's on your To-Do list this month?


23 comments:

  1. Sorry the hurricane delayed the edits. Hope you get the manuscript back this week.
    I'm sure the Man doesn't mind pizza one bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing The Man's happy with any excuse to not have to eat my cooking. :)

      Delete
  2. Go ahead and blame Irma. I do.

    Good luck with all of your goals! And don't forget NaNo is coming up - that might help with the romance-not-a-romance draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as excuses go, monster hurricanes aren't a bad one (except for the obvious reasons anyway.)

      I was thinking about doing NaNoWriMo, but for Full Circle, not for Vinnie & Ellie. I don't think there's 50k left in that story. Whatever genre it proves itself to be.

      Delete
  3. Yes, blame Irma.

    So many writing projects - wow.

    I just LOVE that scene from Guardians Vol. 2. Groot dancing to Mr. Blue Sky is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have something to blame besides my own crazy obsessiveness. :)

      And I never miss a chance to use a Baby Groot gif. My favorite!

      Delete
  4. Good news about Second Nature! I hope you get revisions soon. I get you on binge watching tv. I let myself watch 20 minutes at lunch but there are days where I get sucked in and lose hours of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I do that all the time at lunch. It can certainly be a black hole from which I can't escape. :)

      I hope revisions come back soon. I'm eager to jump in and see what's what.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with all of your goals! Hopefully you get the edits back soon.
    I should probably make some goals or something...maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I should probably make some goals or something...maybe..." <----That was me all last month. I tried to write a blog post every Monday with zero results. We'll see how long it lasts this time. :)

      Delete
  6. I love October. It's Halloween month. And it's so exciting to hear about Second Nature being sent off. It's getting closer and closer to release! So excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part of Halloween is, of course, the candy. I should start stocking up now so I have fuel for when those edits come in. :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations with the progress of Second Nature! So proud of you. Your hard work inspires me. Good-luck with your goals. You'll crush them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Murees. I certainly hope that turns out to be the case. :)

      Delete
  8. Your proofreader apologized for the hurricane? That made me LOL. Probably the only funny thing to come from any hurricane.

    Good luck with your goals. So happy your book is almost out here for us mere mortals to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh, too.

      And just in case there was any doubt, I am painfully mortal. :)

      Delete
  9. You always have such a long list of goals, a bit of slacking off every so often can't hurt. I've been slacking too, but finally started on my novel edits again. I guess autumn (sorry, fall) is a good time to get back to work for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August was supposed to be my slacking off month. I didn't really intend for it to bleed into September. *shrugs*

      And I generally say 'autumn' over 'fall' but not exclusively. :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, you're juggling a lot right now! Hope all your goals for October go well, especially in regards to Second Nature. How exciting that it's so close to completion already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if things go well with Second Nature's side of things, I will be absolutely fine should I accomplish nothing else. Well maybe not absolutely fine, but kind of okay with it at the very least. :)

      Delete
  11. Good luck with everything. You can do it! My fingers are crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sucks about the delays. Chrys had my book for edits during the hurricane and I told her I'd be very put off if she got swept away, but was really worried for her and glad to hear she came out with minor damage to her home.

    ReplyDelete