Monday, May 15, 2017

What's Up

This has been my Sunday night routine of late:

Me: I'm going to write a blog post!

Me: *boots up computer and logs into Blogger*

Me: *looks at blank screen and blinking cursor*

Me: *looks at blank screen and blinking cursor*

Me: *looks at blank screen and blinking cursor*

Me: Ugh. Never mind. I'm not going to write a blog post.


And this is my attempt to break that pattern. I don't exactly know what to write about because I don't exactly live a super exciting existence (and thank goodness for that!) and I seem to have forgotten how to write a blog. So here in bullet point format (because full and complete paragraphs are beyond me) are the highlights (or, what passes for them, anyway) of what's .


—Last month, I flew home to Maine only to get into a car and drive back to Florida with my sister and niece. Highlights of our road trip included our traditional Les Miserables sing-along and our inaugural Hamilton sing-along, both of which delighted my niece to no end. (Translation: she was not delighted to any end.)



—On our way back to Maine from Florida, there was the super fun moment in North Carolina when I received a text from The Man saying that one of those super fun Florida wildfires had started super near our house (Seriously, it was so close), and the neighbors were preparing to evacuate. Which is exactly the text one wants to receive when one is an OCD-ridden control freak who has no confidence that anyone other than her can properly prepare a go-bag for her pets. Fortunately, the fire department, with an assist from the army reserve people, got things under control, so no evacuation was ultimately necessary. Thank you, Fire Department and Army Reservists! We salute you!



—After my road trip/vacation, I did the unthinkable: I told The Man it was time to upgrade my computer system. He's been pushing for that for a while now—something about my old laptop needing a good thirty minutes to actually boot up?—so he was delighted (perhaps actually so). I am now working on an older laptop of his. It's newer than mine (every computer, with the exception of the one on which George R.R. Martin does his writing is newer than mine) and much faster. I no longer have time to do my best Cave Buffy impression in between pushing the power button and actually being able to use the damn thing.




—Which leads us to writing. Second Nature has more or less stalled. I submitted what I believe to be my last problem scene (of course, I say that about every scene I submit) to my critique partners to get their take on it. We meet tomorrow, and I hope they can help me shed a little light on what's bugging me so very much about it. Fingers crossed.



—I'm also using my shiny, newish laptop to work on my new novel, Full Circle (aka, Book Three in my fantasy series). I'm not going to say too much about it at this point in time because I'm planning to  make it the feature of my next post (maybe on Wednesday, maybe never if my current blogging patterns hold), but I at least wanted to mention that I am writing and working—even if it's not the book on which I should be working.


On that note, I'm outta here. Thanks for stopping by today! And I hope that the mothers among you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

And, also because I love him more than life itself, I will be ending this post with Baby Groot:



See you Wednesday. Probably.

30 comments:

  1. I love Baby Groot.

    Whenever we upgrade computers in our house, we do what I call the great computer shuffle. My husband gets the new one, I get his old one, and mine becomes the back up computer. Since these are all desktops, you can imagine the space it takes, especially if the old backup gets stuffed in a closet rather than going out the door. (At one point, we had 5 of them, and I insisted it was time to start chucking computers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't even handle the cuteness that was Baby Groot in that movie. He was just too much.

      We had that same desktop backlog for a while. There were just so many desktops in our house. When we finally took them to electronics recycling, the people running the event were floored at how many computers came out of our car.

      Delete
  2. LOL, your Sunday night routine is basically what my attempts at blogging have looked like for...the past year or so? Haha, welp.

    And ack, how awful about the wildfire! Glad you guys didn't have to evacuate, after all.

    Also, congrats on all the writing, and that you've been able to do it on a new(ish) laptop, too! Hope all goes well with Full Circle, and that you're finally able to fix that problem scene from Second Nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll both get back the in the blogging groove soon, right?

      I'm so glad no evacuation was needed. I'm not sure my blood pressure could have taken that. I did text The Man the exact order in which I thought he should pack the car, just in case, though. Perhaps I should write them out and hang them on the wall for future reference, just in case.

      Delete
  3. I hope your CPs can help you. I've a got a similar issue - problems with some chapters but can't figure out what... It's like we're not in control of our own characters, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not in control of our own characters. We're not. I tell this to The Man, and he has no idea how that could possibly be true. But it is. And most of the time, I love it, but this particular bout is wearing on me.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear everything worked out okay with those wildfires. Scary stuff. We really, really need rain. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd be saying that Florida is desperate for rain, but we really are. There were two more wildfires on the other side of town over the weekend. So much fun for everyone.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, that text would really suck. Glad they got the fire under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad they got the fire under control and your family is okay. I would probably be freaking out too if that happened while I was on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I was freaking out. But, you know, calmly.

      Delete
  7. Glad everything turned out ok with the fires! That's beyond scary!
    Basically every car ride for me turns into a Hamilton sing-a-long. (It helps when my husband lets me hijack his CD player.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first road trip where we've done Hamilton. I have to admit that I didn't really know the musical before (Well, except for "It's Quiet Uptown"). Now, of course, I am a convert and want to listen to it every time I'm in the car. Much to The Man's delight. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad that the fires near you were put out. This year's fire season has been crazy. Every year in our area there's a risk, but this is just scary now.

    It's strange that I submitted Flaming Crimes to my publisher during all of this...I hate to think I bring these things on, but when Seismic Crimes came out, on the same day, the earthquake in Nepal happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a crazy coincidence. Maybe your next book should involve no natural disasters. Just as an experiment? :)

      Delete
  9. Ah, blogging. I remember when I used to do that.

    I'm glad you survived the (Almost) Housefire of '17, you've joined the (almost) modern age of computing, and your niece (almost) loved your Hamilton singalong. But mostly I'm glad you brought Baby Groot to the party this morning.

    (My son loves to re-create the "Don't push this button" scene from the first Vol 2 preview with me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great scene to recreate. Of course, that movie is full of great scenes. :)

      Delete
  10. Glad the fires got under control before you had to evacuate. That's scary. And don't worry too much about blogging. The blog will be here when you do have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the nice thing about blogging. I still feel like a slacker, though. :)

      Delete
  11. That's what writing's been like for me lately. The whole staring at a blank screen thing, I mean.

    I hope you're crit group can help un-stall your book. Also, I'm really glad that your house didn't burn down. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the critique group can help, too. I'd really love to finish this book some day in the next millennium.

      Delete
  12. What a sister to drive all the way from Maine to Florida and of course, Les Mis. Hope you figure out that scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a long drive. It had been a while since I've done it, so I kind of forgot. Lots of time for singing musicals, though.

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad your house wasn't taken by fire. Those fires can be brutal.

    This is why I have a blogging schedule. So, when I feel like I have nothing to write about, I have something to write about. And my schedule is super flexible.

    So, when, for example, the kiddos decide to be all cooperative on me (I mean really. It's spring people. It's time to go a little crazy) I just pull out a random quiz. Those always fill a post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a blogging schooled, and I keep thinking that I should re-establish one. But then I look at that little blinking cursor and think, "I'll do it later."

      I always love the quizzes you share.

      Delete
  14. Awww, baby Groot. :)
    I love that you sang to Les Mis and Hamilton!
    And, I'm glad no evacuation was necessary.
    (It sounds like you live an exciting life to me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to sing along with any musical, but Les Mis will forever be my favorite.

      Delete
  15. Now THAT is a road trip! Sometimes for me the title of a post is the hardest part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find titles to be tough, too. I like to use song lyrics when I can think of some that'll fit.

      Delete