Wednesday, May 10, 2017

One Lost Hero...Or Two?

Today on My Pet Blog, we're (is it weird how I'm always referring to myself as 'we' in these intros?) welcoming author Sarah Foster, one of the amazing contributors to the latest anthology from the Insecure Writers Support Group.

Take it away, Sarah!


One Lost Hero…or Two?
by Sarah Foster


When I first approached the idea of a lost hero, I always had it in my head that this hero was someone being looked for. As the characters and plot became more concrete in my mind, it was clear to me that the actual “hero” I had created wasn’t the protagonist of my story. The narrator, Raynor, was the one telling the tale. He and his twin sister Illy are searching for their long-lost uncle in order to stop an evil group known as the Black Cloaks from kidnapping people with special powers.

So the hero of my story is literally lost, and the main characters are trying to find him. Mikah is a lost hero because he does not want to be found. He no longer wants to be the hero he once was. A big part of the story is learning about his backstory and what happened to him that made him decide to stop fighting evil and disappear. It was always obvious to me that Mikah was my “lost hero.” But was he the only one?

Finding their uncle is the main goal for Raynor and Illy; they and the reader don’t know what will happen once they do. For Raynor, his priority is protecting his sister. She’s the one determined to locate their uncle and defeat the Black Cloaks. Raynor, on the other hand, is reluctant to go on this journey, but he knows there is no arguing with his twin and so he must go with her.

Raynor spends most of the story worrying about what could happen, and revealing to the reader how truly frightened he is of the results of this journey. At some point it occurred to me, isn’t Raynor a bit of a lost hero as well? Not in the sense that he is literally lost, but that he is reluctant to become a hero. He seems to know that he must become one, but wants no part of it. It’s only when things are at their worst and he is forced to protect his sister that his own truth is revealed to him and he can accept his role as a hero.

It was funny to suddenly realize that my narrator was also a lost hero in this story. The fact that Raynor and his uncle have a particular trait in common (something revealed at the very end of the story) ties this idea together. So while I thought I was creating one lost hero, another one was telling the story the entire time. But as with most things I write, my characters are usually the ones in control.


Sarah Foster is a blogger and an aspiring novelist and poet. She lives with her stand-up comedian husband and an overweight cat in a studio apartment above a movie theater just south of Boston, Massachusetts. When she’s not obsessing over Broadway musicals or baking cupcakes, she is usually working on finishing—and hopefully someday publishing—her debut novel. You can read about her writing adventures (and the love/hate relationships with her characters) on her blog, The Faux Fountain Pen.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram 

The Last Dragon

In a land free from dragons, a new evil rises to take their place. The Gifted—those with special powers—are being collected by a mysterious group with a sinister purpose. With little hope in sight, Raynor and his twin sister, Irillya, seek out their long-lost uncle—a once great warrior who disappeared without a trace or a reason.



Hero Lost
Mysteries of Death and Life
An Insecure Writer’s Support Group Anthology

Can a lost hero find redemption?

What if Death himself wanted to die? Can deliverance be found on a bloody battlefield? Could the gift of silvering become a prison for those who possessed it? Will an ancient warrior be forever the caretaker of a house of mystery?

Delving into the depths of the tortured hero, twelve authors explore the realms of fantasy in this enthralling and thought-provoking collection. Featuring the talents of Jen Chandler, L. Nahay, Renee Cheung, Roland Yeomans, Elizabeth Seckman, Olga Godim, Yvonne Ventresca, Ellen Jacobson, Sean McLachlan, Erika Beebe, Tyrean Martinson, and Sarah Foster.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these twelve tales will take you into the heart of heroes who have fallen from grace. Join the journey and discover a hero’s redemption!


16 comments:

  1. I've bought my copy of the anthology, but there are a few things ahead of it in the reading queue. I'm looking forward to a lot of stories in it, but now I'm *really* looking forward to reading this one.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoy all of the stories!

      Delete
  2. It's funny how other levels of meaning happen when the story is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually find there's more going on in my stories than I initially planned.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting me today, M.J.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come back anytime. My blog loves it when I stop ignoring it. :)

      And congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading your story!

      Delete
  4. You're right, there were two heroes, the lost and the reluctant and lost.

    I think The Last Dragon could be part of a much bigger story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that aspect of your story, Sarah - a lost hero searching for a lost hero. Wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love How you let your characters drive your story Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing about your process Sarah!

    ReplyDelete