Wednesday, May 3, 2017

I'm A Writer (An IWSG Post)

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means that it's time for another action-packed installment of the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

(Once again, I'm assuming any visitors today are already familiar with the IWSG, but if you want for instruction, or a complete list of participants, please click on the above link.)

This month's co-hosts are: Nancy Gideon, Tamara Narayan, Liesbet @ Roaming About, Michelle Wallace, and Feather Stone.

As my writing has completely come to a stand-still (Yay!), I'm taking advantage of the optional question of the month, which asks...

"What's the weirdest/coolest thing you ever had to research for a story?"

So, as you may know, I primarily (though these days I feel as though I should say 'theoretically') write fantasy. Medieval-esque, and occasionally a little dark. And occasionally a lot dark because I am a horrible person who enjoys torturing her characters. Which means that, like many writers, my research is a little...odd. And possibly has me on some government watch lists.

Whatever.

I mean, yeah, sure, I routinely research topics such (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!) as "the best places to stab people" or "burning people alive" but it's not like I'm actually planning to do any of those things to anyone other than the aforementioned characters.

I'm not. I swear.

So let's focus on what I personally think is the coolest:

I like weapons. And weaponry. A lot. Possibly more than I should. And by weaponry, I mean swords and daggers and double-bladed battle axes, and bows and arrows and the like. (Note: while I think this is totally cool, I do recognize the fact that not everyone will share in this opinion. For example, my sister, who once exclaimed, "What is wrong with you?" when I expressed interest in visiting a sword shop (or what at least looked like a sword shop. I suppose it could have just been some other kind of shop that just happened to have swords in the window.) we came across while on a trip.)

So, to recap, I like weapons. And weaponry. Any time I get to research weapons or weaponry, or their use, I am a happy camper.

And because I am a method writer, I actually want to hold these weapons in my hand and really understand their use (As best I can anyway. I honestly have very little talent for these things, as evidenced by all those lamps I have killed and walls I have stabbed in my many attempts to master these tools.) My most recent acquisitions were a set of throwing knives and a book on how to throw said throwing knives. Y'all, they are just so cool. Look!


My greatest achievement with these knives and this new hobby thus far is that I, and all those around me, still have all our fingers, toes, and eyes.



Sure, I may have accidentally stabbed myself that one time when I may have flipped the knife in the air (all cool like Buffy would) and may have caught the wrong end, but how else am I suppose to learn, right?

I'm certain that with just a little more practice, I will fully master this sport.

(Pauses for laughter.)

All right, so that's gonna do it for me today. Thanks for stopping by, everyone. See y'all again next week. (There's no way I'll get another post written this week.)

Unless I forget.

Again.



49 comments:

  1. Haha I can imagine you flipping the knife like Buffy. Lives would be lost for sure if I tried any of her moves. I'm with you though, I think a sword shop would be really cool! I love all the GoT weapons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a move she does in the season four premiere that I have been obsessed with ever since I first saw it. I am forever trying (and failing) to master it.

      Delete
  2. That's cool you really purchased some throwing knives. Hey, enjoy your interest in swords. I think it's cool. You would go batcrap crazy over in England looking at all the old weapons there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My significant other is less thrilled about the purchase of the knives...I can't imagine why.

      And oh, I so would go crazy over in England. Perhaps that is why I have yet to go there. (It isn't, but a girl can pretend.)

      Delete
  3. If I had those throwing knives, the tortoises would hide in their shells for sure. Smart critters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smarter than my critters for sure!

      (Around whom I would never practice with any of my weapons!)

      Delete
  4. Oh the wonderful things we writers research! I do wonder if the FBI has a tag just for writers. My hubby inherited a flail with a spiky ball on its end. It's hard to use that thing, but it looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they don't, they really should.

      And I would love to have a flair...My significant other, however, would love it If I didn't.

      Delete
  5. I love weapons (swords, knives, battle axes, bow and arrows), and I think they are very cool. Beyond archery, I am a wee bit dangerous with them. I swear I'll die while accidentally stabbing myself with a pair of scissors or something. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently told my brother that I want my gravestone to say "Here lies M.J. Fifield...The sword slipped."

      It's probably how it's going to happen anyway, so...

      Delete
  6. There's some gloves that chef's use that are for cutting and the gloves don't cut if the knife accidentally slips. GET THOSE then practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should! Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  7. Weaponry like that is super cool. Don't listen to your sister, you're gonna be a badass knight! :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds dangerous! Please be careful where you throw those things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always am...Well, almost always. :)

      Delete
  9. I totally get where you're coming from, and I'd love to go to that sword shop! I'll be doing a lot of questionable research on weapons and fighting styles in the foreseeable future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun, researching those questionable things. The look on non-writers' faces when you tell them what you're doing is just priceless. :)

      Delete
  10. Haha! I have researched some sketchy stuff about wounds and weapons. I sometimes fear I'm being monitored and my front door will be broken down. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that same fear...but not bad enough to, you know, stop researching the questionable things. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh, that would be so much fun. Not the getting stabbed part, just the learning to throw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't really recommend the 'getting stabbed' part. Throwing, however, is a lot of fun.

      Delete
  12. What an awesome post! I will be sure to call on you when I write my murder scene in my new book. Knives are a must...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to share my findings. :)

      Delete
  13. Hey, I used to spend time flipping butter knives, trying to teach myself how to catch them. They probably have a different balance than your throwing knives though. :) Still, it kept me from stabbing myself (or the floor or any unfortunate soul who happened to be crossing my path at the time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've actually tried flipping the butter knives. And I have a whole drawer of those. Hmmm.

      Delete
  14. What a weird reaction your sister had to wanting to go into a sword store. It seems perfectly normal to me.

    Keep throwing those knives!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just really like the wording of "the best places to stab people." I think it's funny how often writers have to research wounds. Why can't we just stop torturing our characters??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked how the search came back with "Well, do you want to kill them, or just wound them?"

      And where's the fun in not torturing our characters, right?

      Delete
  16. I'm a fan of weapons research, too! (BTW, the armpit is a good place to stab people because we all have a major artery in there. I learned this while going to fencing club - it's why fencers where an extra strength bit of protection in the armpit called a plastron/underarm protection.) Okay, probably tmi. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know about the armpit, though not because of fencing club. Which makes me wonder why I don't belong to a fencing club. A serious oversight on my part.

      Delete
  17. I hope you didn't really injure yourself with that knife. It was a joke, right?
    Anyway, I'd come with you to a sword shop. One of my characters is a swordsman. He loves weapons too. Kindred spirits, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a joke. I did catch the wrong end, but didn't hold on to it long enough for it to do any real damage. Just a flesh wound. :)

      Delete
  18. Do you have some sort of target thing for the throwing knives? I don't think your SO would appreciate you using the side of the house, so I assume you're not. You're not, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not throwing them at the side of the house. I don't have a proper target yet (I haven't found one that I like, or has decent reviews) so I've mostly just been throwing them at pillows. The SO thinks I have way too many of those anyway.

      Delete
  19. I went to a workshop at a conference where there were real medieval weapons. So cool. Those swords were so heavy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those swords are heavy! I have one broad sword that I can barely lift, so I generally collect short swords.

      Delete
  20. MJ, that was awesome, lol. Its so much fun to research, then write about, the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly think it is. Though some days I have to wonder what is wrong with me that I need to research such things. :)

      Delete
  21. Loved your post. You are a wild and fabulous writer. I have an aversion to weapons since childhood. But in writing Forbidden, I needed to get up and personal with guns, specifically the big beasts. It was surreal handling AK47s and an assortment of bad-ass guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one story in my pipeline that will require me to do the same. And that worries me. I'm much more comfortable with swords, as odd as that may sound.

      Delete
  22. As a horror writer, I'm pretty certain I'm on some government watch lists, too. LOL. Haven't had too many opportunities to research weaponry, oddly enough, but I agree, it can be fun. I'd never be brave enough to do any hands-on research like you, though. I already know that wouldn't end well, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine a lot of horror writers are on such a list! We can all keep each other company. :)

      Delete
  23. High fives to another author who enjoys torturing their characters. We may all be on that watchlist.
    I may or may not keep a knife beside me for writing purposes. Though can't say that I've trying throwing that hypothetical knife. Being a butcher's daughter, I've had plenty of practice with stabbing, cutting, and fileting though. Poor characters.
    Discarded Darlings - Jean Davis, Speculative Fiction Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a dagger on my desk that I call my 'thinking dagger' and whenever I'm stuck on a scene, I'll walk around the house with it, tossing it and playing with it and the like. Always makes my significant other super happy.

      Poor characters, indeed!

      Delete
  24. You're a brave woman, playing with real weapons. I took swords classes for a while, but I still only used plastic practice weapons. @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete