Monday, May 22, 2017

Goal Post

Happy Monday, all!

You may have already seen this on various social media sites, but in case you missed it, I had one of those mythical, magical mornings over the weekend where ideas for both of my current projects were flowing fast and furious, leaving my hand cramping in my attempt to record them all.



It was amazing. It's been a good long while since I've have such an experience, and I owe it all to two people: one of my critique partners and my brother. They were gracious enough to spend some time talking story with me, and in doing so helped me get unstuck on that one remaining trouble scene in Second Nature, and gave me a potential solution for a problem scene in Full Circle.

Which made me feel a little bit like this:



But that's not all...I even had this...moment where a potentially not-awful hook for Second Nature's blurb popped into my head. Just...boom. There it was, and I wrote the first draft of a blurb just like that.



I still can't believe it. It's just so crazy that it could happen so quickly—especially when you know how damn long it took me to write a blurb for Effigy—but it did, and I have this workable blurb that I'm actually willing to show to other people. Sure, those people will tear it to shreds (and I will thank them for it), but it's nice to have something to show them in the first place.

So, in light of my moderately-productive weekend, here are my goals for the week:

1. Finish that page of Second Nature edits you found tucked into your notebook.

Yep. That's right. I found another set of editing notes. I don't think it's a particularly difficult set of revisions—mostly questions of word choice and frequency of word usage—so I think it's entirely possible that I'll finish this week. Of course, I say that all the time, so who knows?

2. Prep submission for critique group...including, but not limited to, the dreaded blurb.

We submit about 10-15 pages in our group, and right now my plan is to submit the blurb and possibly my first completed scene for Full Circle. Of course, at the moment there are no completed Full Circle scenes, so part of this goal will be to complete said scene. If I don't get it finished, I'll just submit the blurb. My critique partners will think it's Christmas.

3. Read a damn book already.

My reading progress has slowed dramatically as the year has progressed. I've only managed to read one book thus far this month. I'm currently working my way through two books: Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas and The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr. I'd like to be finished with at least one of them by the end of the week.

4. Complete at least three thirty minute work-outs.

I used to do this religiously. Yoga, strength training, and aerobics, at least three times a week. And then I fell out of the habit. Strangely, I miss it, so this week, I will be attempting to reestablish that habit.



What's on your To-Do List this week?

Thanks for stopping by today. See y'all next time!

33 comments:

  1. Love when all those story-related things flow! Excellent for you!

    I'm still chugging along with Story A Day and trying to get back into an exercise groove, too. That Legally Blonde quote totally cracked me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Legally Blonde quote is one of my all-time favorites. I reference it all the time.

      I'm so impressed with your Story A Day attempt. Here I am, just trying to run through one page of edits, and you're actually creating a story a day. So cool!

      Delete
  2. Let it flow! Go go go. And get back into that exercise routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying! It's not working out so far today, but I still have all afternoon. :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome news all round. I love it when things just flow - especially a not-awful blurb!

    I keep meaning to read a book too, but every time I have some spare minutes, I pick up my WIP instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I accomplished nothing else this weekend but that potentially not-awful blurb, I'd still be celebrating.

      And that's what happens when I have spare minutes, too. I'm all, "Great, I can read a chapter or two" but then decide to look at my WIP instead. Perhaps this week I can find the balance.

      Delete
  4. Very cool news, all the way about. Hot dog.

    Thank you for your comment and congrats on your big decluttering dent. Those are the best. Here's to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making that dent did feel really good. Still, I think it might be a while before I tackle the next closet. Just thinking about it is a little daunting. :)

      Delete
    2. Here's the dent. That is a wonderful thing but yes, it can be daunting. If I can be of help, my email is on the side of my blog.

      Delete
    3. Sure thing.

      Just read about your character missing. Spooky!

      Delete
    4. Maybe he's in that closet I haven't touched yet. :)

      Delete
    5. Hahahahahahaha.

      That cracked me up. You're funny.

      Delete
  5. YES!!! I knew it would happen for you when it was meant to. A lot of the time, these things do just happen like that. *snap*

    I have faith in you completing your goals for this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys! I hate how long it can take, but it does feel great when it finally happens. :)

      Delete
  6. Blurbs are the hardest thing to come up with. If you can do the blurb, you can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been feeling pretty invincible these past few days...

      Delete
  7. Maybe your brother would come over and talk to me. It sounds as if he's very helpful for stuck writers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those times when the words just fall out as if they're lined up and waiting to drop on the page. It's been a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while for me, too. Made a nice change of pace.

      Delete
  9. That's awesome! I love when the ideas are flowing! Good luck with all of your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! How wonderful! It's amazing what talking it out can accomplish. Go crit group/brother for helping you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking it out can really work wonders. I'm so fortunate to have people willing to do so with me!

      Delete
  11. My to-do list is so long it stretches across my office. I need one of those days when it all just flows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll need a few more of those days to get my To-Do list under control, but this weekend was certainly a start.

      Delete
  12. That's great news. And it's funny how that happens sometimes. You just get that inspiration and things flow. Hopefully the momentum will carry over and you'll easily complete your goals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to figure out my goals for June. I took this month off because the A to Z Challenge always wears me out, but now the month is slipping by and I'll have to get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I participated in the A to Z, I always slacked off on goals (and pretty much everything else) in May, too. I can't believe May's almost over.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on your goal posts. You are definitely plodding along better than I. I have an entire novel written, and can't stomach editing it yet again so it's just sitting on my hard drive. One of these days, the bug will come back. I think I've got too much head space devoted to different things for me to concentrate much on the craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second Nature has done more than its fair share of sitting on a hard drive waiting for attention. And I'm sure it'll be back to that before too long (again, I am me, after all.) I, too, need to be in the right head space to really concentrate on it, and of late, those moments are few and far between.

      Delete