Friday, February 17, 2017

Abducted Life

No, this is not another post about how editing has completely taking over my life. You may breath your collective sigh of relief. Go ahead—I'll wait.

Instead, we welcome author Patricia Lynne (or, Patricia Josephine, as she's also known...) back to My Pet Blog. She has a brand new book out, and she's here today to talk about some real life influences found in the story.

Take it away, Patricia!

Five Real Life Influences in Abducted Life

Writers seem to like to insert little homages (boy, did I just have one heck of a time trying to spell that word) to things in their real life. I did it in Being Human with names of people in my life. Abducted Life was no different. Here are five real life inspirations that helped me add a little personality to the story.

Number One: Did I say that out loud?

The baker at my day job can have quite the snarky mouth and often she will say something sarcastic and end with a flair of snark. "Oh, did I say that out loud?" There's a scene where Savannah is walking behind two women who are gossiping about one's boyfriend. Savannah accidentally says what's on her mind out loud and earns a nasty look from the women.

Number Two: I love this song!

This is another coworker story. I used to have a cook who loved music and, I swear, 80% of the songs on the radio she said she loved. I'd actually tease her when she didn't say it. So naturally, when Mandy and Savannah are clubbing, I had Mandy enjoy each and every song she heard and declare it to Savannah's amusement.

Number Three: The dump

Behind my parents' house is an old, cleaned up dump, but there is still stuff littered there, including and old beetle car. It was a fun place to explore in hopes of finding a hidden treasure. When writing where Evan hung out when not stalking Savannah, I envisioned that dump down to the sloping hills and overgrown road that ran through it.

Number Four: The old farmhouse

Speaking of my parents' house, that was were I got the inspiration for where Savannah's parents lived. My parents own a 100+ year old farm house that has a giant tree in the side yard. They have a picture of the house when it was first built and the tree was just a sapling. Mom also loved flowers and birds so she has many flowerbeds and birdfeeders. The land surrounded the house is also hayed yearly and is very secluded for an easy alien abduction.

Number Five: Trouble

The last little detail is a small one. In the beginning, Savannah recalls how she and Evan met in kindergarten and had gotten in trouble for not paying attention. My bestie of 30 years and I met that way. We were sat next to each other and I remember the teacher separating us for talking.





Savannah Janowitz’s perfect life was destroyed the night she and her boyfriend vanished without a trace. When she reappears a year later––alone––she’s a shell of her former self. Robbed of her popularity and her boyfriend, she has no memory of what happened to her. Savannah struggles to move forward as strange, new abilities manifest.

Evan Sullivan never gave extra-terrestrials much thought until the night he and Savannah were abducted. While Savannah’s memory was wiped clean, he remembers every horrific detail. Constantly reminded of the experiments that made him less than human, Evan hides in the shadows and watches Savannah rebuild her life without him. But neither can let the other go.

When their paths cross, Savannah and Evan finally see a glimmer of their old lives return. As they face what happened to them, they soon discover they aren’t safe. There’s more to fear than what’s hiding in the stars.



About The Author

Patricia Josephine never set out to become a writer. In fact, she never considered it an option during high school and college. She was all about art. On a whim, she wrote down a story bouncing in her head. That was the start of it and she hasn't regretted a moment. She writes young adult under the name Patricia Lynne.

Patricia lives with her husband in Michigan, hopes one day to have what will resemble a small petting zoo, has a fondness for dying her hair the colors of the rainbow, and an obsession with Doctor Who.



Other places to find her online:








Congrats on the new release, Patricia! Hope everyone out there has a wonderful weekend. See you next week. Unless I forget. Which I totally might because I do occasionally do that. Regardless, hope you have a wonderful weekend.

18 comments:

  1. That's cool you are still friends with that person from Kindergarten.
    I used to be bad for saying things out loud...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's got no choice at this point. XD

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete
  2. I loved the real life influences Patricia has used in Abducted Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I sprinkle little bits of real life into my stories. I've even stuck myself in the background a couple of times (unnamed) like an extra in a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. I might steal that idea. ;)

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete
  4. Love learning about all the real-life moments that helped shape Abducted Life. (I like to do that for my own projects, too.) Many congrats on the new release, Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather.

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete
  5. I like to drop in a few real life stories or details in my work too. Loved reading about these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're like fun easter eggs.

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete
  6. Thanks for having me, MJ. =D

    Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia is burning up the interwebs! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm everywhere! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete
  8. It's the little details like that that make a story come alive. Of course they must come from real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. =)

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete
  9. Isn't it neat how our lives become fodder for our fiction? It's like sharing a secret without anyone knowing it was true. @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it so is.

      Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine

      Delete