Monday, January 23, 2017

Five Scenes, Three Chapters

So, apparently, I decided to take last week off from blogging. I'd like to say it was because I was so busy wrapping up my edits that I didn't have time for anything else, but you must know by now that my editing generally looks more like this:



But I did cross off one scene from the master to-do list, leaving me with five scenes across three chapters. Technically, one of those five scenes is done, but I'm feeling like it shouldn't be. Like, my changes aren't anywhere near as polished as I would like them to be. But I also reached the point where I just couldn't look at it anymore, so I submitted the scene in question to my critique group to see if they think it requires more work, or if it can officially move to the 'done' column. It's probably somewhere between the two. Needs some touching-up, but is not as bad as I believe it to be. Which is something I think I would be happy with. Mostly because I just can't look at it anymore.

Either way, I'll find out on Wednesday.

Until then, I hope to distract myself with copious amounts of editing. Or perhaps this instead:




Happy Monday, everyone. Have a great week!

23 comments:

  1. I'm slogging my way through revisions as well; I've got about 60 pages left before I can send my wip off to readers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you can see the finish line. I'm sure you'll get there before you know it!

      Delete
  2. I have a feeling I'm going to be in the revision trenches a very long time. Sigh.

    Good luck to you and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you, too! I'll leave out some snacks for you—but not my road map to finishing revisions. Because, you know, I don't have one. And if I did, no one would want to follow it. :)

      Delete
  3. I bet it will take just a little bit to finish that scene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! I really considered getting a chair for my office that doesn't spin because I've done that myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to get a new desk chair (my current chair sinks every time I sit in it, and triggers my vertigo), but I want it to swivel a little. But full-out spinning I do not need. Or want. (Again, see: vertigo.)

      Delete
  5. Four scenes and a little bit and you're there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's so close to being complete that I'm starting to get anxious.

      Delete
  6. I think we all learn that stare at the desk thing when we're in high school. Hope you get good news on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I mastered the art of the blank desk stare in high school. It's served me well over the years, too...

      Delete
  7. Yesterday I was slogging through a read through of one of my stories and I was soooooo tired of reading it again, so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm really hoping that Wednesday will be the last time I'll have to read that particular scene for a while.

      Delete
  8. You can totally lose perspective if you focus on one scene too much. Soon you'll be able to look at it and see that. Maybe after a spinny-chair break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been jumping around a lot. When I get stuck on one particular part, I'll skip to another scene and try to accomplish something there, and so on and so forth. But that scene was my main focus for a few days because I so badly wanted/want it to be done. Now it's back to hopscotching around. :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Yes. Baby steps, as it may be, but still progress. I can actually see a finish line now.

      Delete
  10. Been there, done that; got the blank/unedited pages to prove it.

    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think it will be as bad as you're expecting - things never are :).
    Congrats on all your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck! I'm sure that scene is either ready to go or nearly there. After you read something so much, it's hard to see what should go or stay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're getting there. At least you're working on it which is more than I can say about any of my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL. It happens. I was out of town so I didn't even notice. There you go. You probably nailed this scene better than you think, but whatever happens, I hope your fridge is stocked with cheese.

    ReplyDelete