Monday, December 5, 2016

Pics, Or It Didn't Happen

As you may recall from my last post, I had my very first public speaking/author panel-type experience over the weekend.

And as you will also recall, I was (quite understandably, I think) terrified because public speaking and I (especially when it entails speaking about myself and my work) are unmix-y thing. (Name! That! Reference!)

But I went anyway and stood in front of a group of about twenty people and talked about my writing journey, and it seemed to go...all right. People laughed from time to time. (And not at me. Well, at least I don't think it was at me. It might have been at me. I don't know.)

Following my talk, there were actual questions from the audience that I was actually able to answer, and following the panel, I actually sold a few books. Five books. Which is the most books I've ever sold at an event. (I know that's a good number for me, but I'm guessing other authors would probably laugh at that.) As an added bonus, I'm pretty sure I spelled my name correctly in each of them. One person received the stupidest inscription ever because three other people were trying to talk to me while I was writing it, so the inscription made absolutely no sense, but that's fun, too, right? A collector's item. Or something.

Quite a few of the audience members stopped by my table to tell me that I had done a wonderful job (and related the same to The Man when he showed up), and to pick up a bookmark or business card or two, so I think I can probably count the entire experience a success.


Here are a few photos from the event (and one from lunch afterward):

Yep. That's me. Standing in front of a real live audience.

Me again. Actually selling a book.
Enjoying a celebratory Jack & Coke
on the beach afterward

So yes, I went and spoke and survived, and if they were to invite me back again, I would probably say yes. Probably, anyway.


That was my weekend. How was yours?

29 comments:

  1. Yay for overcoming your fear of public speaking! And yay for selling books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't say I overcame my fear of public speaking. Just managed to keep it at bay for a couple of hours. :)

      But yes, definitely yay for selling books!

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it through it, and sold books, too! I hate speaking in front of ppl. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. But apparently, I managed to fake it really well.

      Delete
  3. Well done! And you sold books. Awesome. Knew you could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! So happy it went well. Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your celebratory drink. I went to the Krampus parade on the weekend. Cold and crowded and lots of scared children. So it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your pictures from that parade...I would have been scared, too!

      Delete
  5. Five books is awesome! I actually read that selling one book at an event, and only one book, is the norm. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's the norm? Well, I feel even better about five now. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on facing your fears and doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the successful event. Five books is a good signing. I've sold anywhere from 0 to 30 at signings so I'm always happy with any number above zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30?!? Wow! I don't even bring that many books with me to an event. (Of course, I only have the one title). That's amazing!!

      Delete
  8. Yay for you! You really did it! I wish I could have been there. I would love a nonsensical inscription. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope the person who ended up with the nonsensical inscription feels the same way!

      Delete
  9. See, you did it. I knew you could. Congrats. And selling anything is good, so give yourself a pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats M.J! I'm so glad you faced your fears and it sounds like it was a success :). I also hate public speaking - maybe it's part of being an author ;)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! I've written some really dumb things in books because people are trying to talk to me while I write. You did it and know you won't die next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for co-hosting IWSG for December.
    Congrats on surviving your talk. I've been in Toastmasters for over five years and still don't have the hang of giving a prepared speech!
    Enjoy the holidays and Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome. I would be thrilled to sell five books. Or even one. So celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay!! Congratulations!! That's awesome, and five books is great. Well done all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks and sounds like a huge success! Congrats!
    Thanks for co-hosting IWSG this month.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  16. First let me just say I'm a bit jealous you're enjoying the beach while I'm freezing my butt off. :) And five books is four more than I sold last week so congratulations to you! Thank you for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete