Monday, September 12, 2016

September Goals

Well, it's coming up on the midway point of the month, so I thought I should maybe post the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the month. I like to post them in a public forum, such as this blog, because I think it help keeps me motivated...because I really hate having to write the follow-up post and admitting I didn't accomplish something.

I took August off to visit with family, so there were no goals set then, meaning there are no goals to review today. In fact, I just checked, and the last time I even posted goals was way back in May. (Turns out, I actually went three-for-four that month, so kudos to me.) Perhaps I can get back on track during this last chunk of the year...

Stranger things have happened.

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to accomplish this month:

1. Complete latest set of revisions for Second Nature.

I finally finished the read-through in the wee hours of Saturday morning, and have since started applying the proposed changes to the manuscript. There are many, many notes. I literally filled three 100-paged notebooks with proposed changes, thoughts, ideas, and even some solutions. As many notes, however, say something along the lines of "This needs to be fixed somehow. I don't know how, but, you know, fix it, okay?" I'm not 100% convinced that I can accomplish this goal in the nineteen days left in September, but I sure will work my ass off to try.

2. Read a book I didn't write.

I am currently eight books behind in my Goodreads reading challenge. Back in June, I was only a little bit behind. Now it is much worse. Which is what happens when one focuses 24/7 on editing, and nothing else. The reading goal may be a lost cause this year. Still, I'd like to make it only seven books behind this month, if I can.

3. Walk, run, or bike 75 miles.

That's an average of 2.5 miles a day. I am just under par at the moment, so it's definitely do-able, if I remember to stop revising every now and then and take a walk around the living room or something. However this month plays out, though, I am in excellent shape to surpass my yearly mileage goal, so that's something at least.


And that's the end of my list. What are your goals for the month?

Thanks for stopping by...Hope to see y'all again soon.

30 comments:

  1. You're only 8 books behind - you can totally catch up! Pick up some suspense/thrillers that will keep you turning pages. Or some really short books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking it was time to break out the graphic novels. Buffy, season 10, here I come!

      Delete
  2. I don't set a reading goal but I really have a huge stack on my TBR pile. Go get those edits. My current WIP has so much wrong with it I don't know how I'll fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TBR pile is out of control...still doesn't stop me from acquiring yet more books to add to it. :)

      I have a few scenes I have no idea how to fix. Yet. With luck, I will figure it out by the end of the month...

      Delete
  3. You can totally catch up! I should set a walking goal like that. I thought Pokemon GO would motivate me, but those eggs can sit. My goal is to finish writing Totem #6 this month and get some promos done. I'm dragging my feet about the latter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could catch up, yes, but I'd have to find a nice balance between editing and reading, and that I have yet to do successfully.

      Best of luck with your writing!

      Delete
  4. "Read a book I didn't write." Goodness. Yes! I read through Tsunami Crimes last week and now have to read it again this week. I am putting it off, but I can't for that long. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there were a few scenes that I kept putting off because I knew they wouldn't make me happy, and I wanted to put that off as long as possible.

      Hope that's not the case for you.

      Delete
  5. Go for three miles a day and get way ahead!
    That's a lot of notes. That would be a whole book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually aim for five miles a day, and I was making it, too...until I started editing.

      Delete
  6. My goals for the month are to finish some cover art for a book I want to self-publish. After that, my next goals are to completely edit a manuscript that I finished in January. I think that I'll use nano-wrimo for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about participating in NaNoWriMo this year, but I don't think I'll be in a good position to do it.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's a huge amount of notes. I make useful notes like 'fix this' too - it seems great until you get to the point where you actually have to fix it.

    I've recently managed to up my reading rate - it feels good to read for pleasure again :-)

    Good luck for the rest of September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a huge amount of notes. I take comfort in knowing that there are a few solutions included in those pages.

      Delete
  8. Does anything make you feel more like a slacker than falling behind on your goodreads challenge? Talk about setting a public goal. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? And I'm eight books behind, so I'm really slacking this year.

      Delete
  9. And I thought I had a lot of notes. Yet, I only have 1/4 of your output (albeit without a full read-through under my belt). Then again, my notes are typed, so maybe I'm closer to 1/2.

    Either way, here's the good news: You'll address all your notes far before I get through mine. I wish you the best of luck (and skill) with that endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my notes are hand-written. I wonder what they would be like if they were typed. Probably feel less intimidating that way. You know, fewer pages to go through, and all.

      Delete
  10. Getting out and doing something physical is a great way to rest the brain so that the edits go better. I know I sometimes I have to stop and take a walk just to get the blood flowing.

    Good luck on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to find that to be true on occasion back when I still had my day job at The Store. Doing something physical for a few hours could definitely clear my brain.

      Delete
  11. Yeah that's supposedly what my goal posts are for. You definitely should read something. It might give you some ideas for how to fix things. Call it research for your editing and make it a part of revising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to give that a try. You know, check out where another author or two decided to put commas or something. :)

      Delete
  12. My only goal this month was to take a break and recharge. So far, doing good. I think at the end of the month I'm going to have to sit down ad evaluate how I spend my time on the computer and set some goals to be efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I should really evaluate my computer time, too, because I always seem to end up browsing on Amazon or Pinterest when I should be editing or writing or any other number of things.

      Delete
  13. Good luck reaching your goals! Exercising and reading something that isn't yours will certainly help with the revision process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my hope. So far, however, I find I'm just frustrated because it's taking time away from editing. But perhaps I shall find a way to relax as I get further into the revisions.

      Delete
  14. You're still ahead of me, in both miles and books read. Plus editing. I haven't done much of that lately. Hope things keep plugging along for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My only goal this week was to write 500 words...it's not going so well so far! But reading your post has motivated me to do some writing! Best of luck with your goals - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete