Friday, September 9, 2016

Saleswoman of the Year

Before I get into today's post, I just wanted to thank everyone for the encouraging comments on Wednesday's IWSG post. I know I didn't respond personally to each one, but they were much appreciated, and they must have worked their magic because I am feeling much less hopeless about the situation. Thanks, all!

Now on to today's post...

This is a true story.

So, there's a sandwich shop in the area called Jersey Mike's (it's a chain, so there may be one or more near you, too. Unless you live in the Mount Washington Valley. Then the nearest location would be, like, 100 miles away, and at that point, seriously, just make your own sandwich.), and they make and sell these delicious sub sandwiches. These sandwiches are so good that this shop quickly became The Man's favorite sandwich shop.

Well, one day, I was on their website, looking at the menu, and what should be on the top of the page? A big banner proclaiming that in April 2015, this chain was named the Official Sub Sandwich Shop of the New York Yankees Evil Empire.

Now, if you know me, you know that I am a die-hard Red Sox fan (First place in the AL East, baby! WOOT!) so anything—anything at all—related to the Evil Empire automatically becomes repellent to me. (It's totally rational.)

Take, for example, Jacoby Ellsbury. Oh, I had such a thing for that boy. (The Man was so pleased.) Seriously, you should see all the pictures I took of his ass him when I attended a Portland Sea Dogs game in which he had a rehab start. My brother attended the same game...partly because he enjoys baseball, and partly to make sure I didn't get arrested for stalking. (He's a good brother.)

But the moment I learned that Ellsbury had signed with the Evil Empire, he became dead to me. (Much like Adam Vinatieri and Wes Welker when they made their respective traitorous moves. Again, completely rational.)

Because the Evil Empire = Evil. That's just science. (Note: possibly not science.)

So, when I learned that The Man's new favorite sandwich shop was affiliated with the Evil Empire, my immediate reaction was, "Well, we can never go back there."

But The Man is nothing if not persistent (I do now live in Florida, after all), and the sandwiches are pretty damn good, so one day, I relented, and we returned to the Evil Empire's Sandwich Shop. We ordered our subs, and I went over to the cashier to pay.

"Do you have one of our rewards cards?" she asked.

"No," I said.

"Are you interested in getting one?" she asked next.

"I'm good, thanks," I said.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "With each purchase, you can earn points toward free sandwiches."

"Thank you, but I'm really okay," I said. "You don't know what it takes for me to even come through the door."

This, naturally, garnered some odd looks from the staff. The Man, however, having already heard what was about to be said, just rolled his eyes in a oh-here-we-go kind of way.

"See, your restaurant here is the official sandwich shop of the New York Yankees," I said, "and as a die-hard Red Sox fan, you can understand how I would be conflicted about coming here."

She nodded and thought about this for a moment, then said, "Well, if you get one of our cards, every time you earn a free sandwich, it'll be like you're stealing from the Yankees."

So I got a card.

Well played, Jersey Mike's cashier. Well played.

***

That'll do it for me today. Enjoy your weekend, and be sure to tune in Monday when I actually get around to posting my goals for September. (Unless I forget, which I probably will, because the Pats are playing Sunday night.)

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

  1. Lol, great story! Enjoy those free sandwiches :-) I missed the IWSG post, so I'll check it out now - sounds serious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will enjoy those free sandwiches. Every last bite. :)

      Delete
  2. *LOL* I did literally laugh out loud. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this story. I'm glad someone else did, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Haha, very well played! Enjoy your Yankee's stealing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually do have Jersey Mike's around here, too. And that cashier was a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, someone definitely has a bright future in sales. :)

      Delete
  5. I have to admit, I never understood the whole fanatic loyalty to a team thing. But whatever works for you. I've never heard of that place, which is too bad. I like a good sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the scary part is, that as fanatic as I am, I am far from the worst. I look super calm compared to some.

      Delete
  6. She would have had my attention at possible free sandwiches. You are a good supporter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had The Man's attention at free sandwiches. But, you know, he's far more rational than I am. (Most people are, though...)

      Delete
  7. It's hard when your stomach and your heart are at odds with one another!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an interesting story. Definitely worthy of Salesman of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope she receives much accolades for her efforts!

      Delete
  9. Ha! That was an excellent spin. Way to go card-giver!

    ReplyDelete