Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Nicest Things (An IWSG Post)

Hey, everyone! It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's time for another installment of the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

This month's co-hosts are:
Yolanda ReneeTyrean MartinsonMadeline Mora-SummonteLK HillRachna Chhabra, and JA Scott.

One of the newest features of the IWSG is a question that members, if they so choose, can answer in their posts or use to inspire a post, or some combination of all of the above. This month's question is:


What's the best thing someone has ever said about your writing?


I like the timing of this question because I've reached that oh-so-happy stage of the writing/publishing process where all I can do is think that Second Nature just will never get beyond the three-ring-binder stage. I really am working my you-know-what off to make sure that doesn't happen, but I keep feeling like I'm too far behind, and not gaining any ground, and no matter what I do, no matter how hard I may work, it just isn't going to happen.

(Which it will. I may be feeling hopeless right now, but I felt the same way about Effigy when I was trying to release that story, and it made it out into the world eventually. I'll figure things out with the second book eventually, too. It just may take a little longer than originally planned. That's all. Nothing to be upset about, she tells herself for the millionth time...)

But that isn't actually the purpose of this post. It was meant as some backstory or whatever as to where my head's at these days.

Meaning that, as much as I hate talking about this kind of thing (no matter how minor, it always—absolutely always—feels just too damn boastful to me, and I hate feeling like that.), I shall do it today because I think I might be in need of a minor confidence boost, and perhaps looking back at some kind words could help achieve this. (But more likely, I will spend the rest of the day hiding under my desk. Because I'm completely well-adjusted like that.)

So here they are—a few kind things said about Effigy, posted by people on Twitter (and Twitter only, for brevity's sake—which totally feels like bragging/boasting to me because it's like, 'Oh, my work has so many compliments that I couldn't possibly fit them all into one post!' I didn't mean it that way. I hope no one took it that way. I apologize if anyone read it that way.) who are not only not related to me, but who are also wonderful authors whom I admire greatly.

(Note: If you happen to be one of these people who tweeted these things for all of your followers to see, thank you so much for that, and also, I hope you don't mind me using them now.)

Listed in the order that I came across them:









That's going to do it for me today. Thanks to the entire IWSG community, and also to you, gentle readers. Thanks for stopping by. 

47 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so affirming - and I love the second one where she hunted down excerpts for book 2! It'll come together (stories are so stubborn!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial reaction was, "Are there book 2 excerpts on my website? If so, how old are they?"

      And yes, stories are stubborn. But so I am. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, those compliments are beyond amazing. Congrats on all the high praise for Effigy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. It really was very sweet of them to say those things.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE it. Yay! Goodness, I know what you mean about book 2. It felt that way with Soulless for me too, and now I'm at that place with Timeless. At least I know it will happen, having done this twice before. Hey, have some cheese to keep you going, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thought I would be more on top of things this time around because I went through it once before. Maybe the third time will be the charm?

      Thanks for the cheese...I need it!

      Delete
  4. I love your comments. Those tweets are big boost and I have no doubt they keep you going. Second Nature is also going to move forward.
    All the best as you bring it closer and closer to the finish line.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Wonderful words to keep reminding yourself that you will achieve your goals! It's not boastful as much as a positive push for you and your readers and future readers! Congratulations, that will day will arrive, Second Nature will be out there too and receiving kudos left and right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great things to keep close by to help you keep going. Thanks for cohosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are incredibly flattering, and I am incredibly grateful.

      Delete
  7. Okay, now those are just amazing compliments, and you should be totally proud! :)

    I do know what you mean about feeling boastful though. It drives my husband crazy when I say things about my writing like "It's just...." and "It's only...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives my other half crazy, too. :)

      Delete
  8. You aren't bragging or boasting, you are just sharing the compliments your book received. You should be proud of your achievement. Congratulations!

    Rachna Chhabria
    Co-host IWSG
    Rachna's Scriptorium

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woot! It's an awesome book. I'll happily shout out about it any time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! You're far too kind!

      Delete
  10. Those are wonderful! Go ahead and boast a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean in addition to what I've already done? Or can the post be counted as good enough? :)

      Delete
  11. These tweets are awesome! And such a fun way to answer this question. I've had Effigy on my TBR and I sat up straight in my chair when I read Tara's tweet about Game of Thrones fans. I've been in a total post-Thrones funk since last week and now I know how to fill it. Can't wait to start on the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara wrote such a nice review of Effigy that I swear she must have confused it with another novel because there's no way she could be talking about mine. :)

      Delete
  12. How lovely! I totally missed knowing there was any kind of prompt for IWSG now. I'll have to check that out for next month. But this is a lovely thing to consider and can be sunshine on a cloudy day of writing for sure.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll really like having the prompt to work with. I think it'll spark some terrific posts throughout the group.

      Delete
  13. Tweet praises. That's awesome! I love that you shared those with us. Like Julie, Effigy is on my TBR list, and I'm trying very hard to get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find any gifs I wanted to use in this post, so I figured embedded tweets were the next best thing. :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Very nice, yes. I'm not sure I'm worthy of such accolades.

      Delete
  15. I really like what Loni said. You have to finish the book for her now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless she read the really old, un-updated excerpts on the website, and changed her mind. Because those excerpts are very old. I really need to update them.

      Delete
  16. Good grief those are wonderful comments. I could live on them for a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are wonderful comments. I am extremely fortunate.

      Delete
  17. Great compliments. You totally deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That is awesome. Those ladies are fabulous. Good for you! You deserve every compliment and definitely embrace them. I know how you feel. It feels like book two is never going to happen for me either. But you will get there. You will finish it and you will publish it. Why? Because you're just made of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! I hope you continue to get praise for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great comments from your readers. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know, you are allowed to feel good about your accomplishments. Boasting isn't a bad thing now and again. There are the smug who can't stop talking about themselves, but they're not you.

    I think you need to once a day say something nice about your writing. You can post it on Twitter, if you like. Just once a day. It'll be good practice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. *gasp* Yay! I'm glad I was able to uplift you. And I am looking forward to book 2 still!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! I'm glad you've had some awesome, well-deserved compliments, and I don't think they're braggy at all. You could have written down more and it still wouldn't be braggy. It's so good to read good reviews!
    Happy Writing! (Meaning, Best Wishes, Cheers, and You Can Do This!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love those comments. I hope some day to write something that inspires such words. I really need keep pushing on my writing project I think so it'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are AMAZING comments!!!!! Well deserved! :D

    And gosh . . . I'm in that hopeless funk, wondering if I can finish the next book as well and will it be good? Will it suck? But before all that, Will I FINISH it? Ever? . . . umm, sorry, you hit a spot. lol

    ~~~
    S.K. Anthony: The Decline in Ebooks — It’s Not What You Think

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome compliments. They are a good thing to look back on in less-confident times.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great compliments and I love how you worked them into this post!
    Anne from AnneHiga.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good for you MJ - sometimes we need that little extra boost and thank goodness we have so many ways of getting it now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those are awesome and I'm sure well-deserved compliments. We sometimes need that boost. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What wonderful comments. Makes me want to go check out the book!

    ReplyDelete