Monday, July 25, 2016

Return of the Mummy Hand And Other Fun Tales

Back in May, I wrote a post likening my never-ending editing experience to a Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode—the one where she works at the magic shop and does battle with an uncooperative mummy hand. (Life Serial—Season Six, Episode Four) You know, the one where she looks like this:

Coincidentally, this is what I currently look like on the inside.
And maybe the outside, too. Whatever.

In that post, I said my revisions were like that uncooperative mummy hand, and that I was failing in my attempts to tame said mummy hand.

But eventually, I found my way through to the end. And for almost one glorious month, it stayed that way.

But then...the mummy hand returned. With a vengence.

It all started when I received emails from my betas saying, "Hey, here's a typo; you should go fix it." And I did that. I opened the manuscript to fix said typos, and ended up catching sight of a sentence whose structure made me do this:



So I decided to fix that, too. And then things sort of snowballed from there. Or, you know, avalanched from there. Whatever.

The bottom line is, I think I have forgotten how to write prose. And now I need to correct it. If I can.

It's been a slow process, which has been exceedingly frustrating. I have fifteen chapters left to go through, and more often than not, it feels like I'll never get there. This is, of course, not true, but it still feels that way.

I literally am spending every single moment I can on this revision—often foregoing things like eating and sleeping and exercising, and blogging and reading books written by other people—but those available moments are about to shrink big time because in a couple of days, I am...

GOING HOME

That's right. I am going home. To New England. For the first time since I moved to this godforsaken swamp state Florida. Sadly, it's just for a week, and not, like, you know, forever, but I will take what I can get. Which is a week with much-missed family and friends in a land where the temperature may actually drop below 90 degrees once in a while, and there are very seldom any lizards camping out in the mailbox.

It's going to be great.

Which brings us to the moment where I ask a favor:

Part of my adventures that week will be a visit to my old writers group where I will be talking a little bit (in front of the group, even) about blogging. But because I am a notoriously inconsistent blogger, I turn to you, gentle readers, to help me out with this.

What advice would you give to an aspiring blogger? 


Then, provided I survive my brief public speaking experience, The Man and I will be playing host to family the next two weeks, which will be equally great, but does mean that my revisions will be on the back burner until the end of August. and this blog will once again become a ghost town. (And I started off the year so well, too.)

Which may sound like a complaint, but really isn't. A little forced time off will likely be good for me. And while I'm sure I'll fight it at first, I'm sure I will quickly embrace my freedom.

And probably spend every spare moment watching this over and over again:




And on that note, I'm outta here. Thanks for stopping by today. See y'all again in August...

26 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip home and don't take any lizards with you.
    What I would tell aspiring bloggers? Follow and comment on other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no intentions of bring any lizards with me. That doesn't mean that one won't end up stowing away in my suitcase anyway.

      Thanks for the blog advice!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could escape our heat.

    I'd tell a new blogger to pick a theme or style early. Most blogs are either information or entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Escaping the heat would be terrific. I really should have planned a trip home for January or February. Definitely would have been cooler then.

      Thanks for the blogging advice!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait for Sherlock! Do you know we're having a heat wave here in the northeast? It probably doesn't seem so bad after Florida.
    Blogging? Be regular, return comments, include links...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Sherlock, either. It's been such a long, long wait!

      I did hear about the heat wave. My sister and I were laughing about it. It will still be cooler than Florida, though, so that's something to cling to. :)

      Thanks for the blogging advice!

      Delete
  4. Now i want to write a story about a lizard who lives in a mailbox!

    As for blogging advise (says the writer who's taking a break from blogging), I'd say; focus on the kind of people your trying to bring in (writing tips for writers, or likes and interests of your readers), blog routinely, and plan ahead so as not to cause stress with a last minute post. Write in advance, give yourself a buffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably could make a very cute children's story. I couldn't write it, though...I've seen too much, and my scars run too deep...

      Delete
  5. Best blogging advice: you get back what you put into it. Comment like mad, join blog hops, read and review other writer's work, and offer your help to other bloggers/writers when they need it.

    Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the thing about books/mummy hands. You can only calm them for a little while. And I really hope your return to New England is not this week because it's ninety degrees and humid out and you could have that back home.

    The only advice I have for aspiring bloggers is to write about something you enjoy or you'll be miserable and your readers will be too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True story. I just thought I had bought myself more time. *shakes head sadly*

      And yes, my visit is this week. Naturally, I selected a super hot week to come back. It will still be cooler than Florida, though, so that's something to cling to...

      Delete
  7. It'll be good to see family, right? But I hear it's hot everywhere.

    Blogging advice... I'd better not. I have no idea what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny...I have no idea what I'm doing, either. :)

      Delete
  8. Enjoy the weather on your trip home. Bask in it! Try to bottle it and take it home and make Florida more habitable. (Can you tell I live in the north and think 90+ degree weather is insane?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, think 90+ degree weather is insane. Which is why I moved to Flor—Oh wait.

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your trip back home. I really hope you enjoy it and recharge your batteries. Soak up every second. Enjoy the time off, you deserve it. I don't have a mummy hand to blame:( Just my own laziness. My advice for aspiring bloggers would be that sometimes life gets hectic and that you might neglect your blog, but don't give up on it entirely. Just do your best to post regularly and always visit and comment back. Stay safe, M.J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am much more comfortable when it's my own laziness holding me back. When I'm actually working hard at something and still not getting anywhere...that's maddening.

      And that is excellent blogging advice. I've experienced that many a time. Now, for instance. :)

      Delete
  10. Be consistent.

    I'm sure Florida isn't worse than Louisiana as far as climate goes, so I empathize.
    But I have no sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sympathize on the never-ending process when it comes to calling a book "done." Heck, I've got my publisher working on post-production corrections and releasing a new edition of the book because of that sort of thing. So, even after publication, you might not be done.

    I hope you enjoy your travels.

    As for new bloggers, work ahead! Use the scheduling feature in your chosen blogging software to stockpile entries so that you're not scrambling every Tuesday night (if Wednesday is your post day). That took a lot of stress out of it for me.

    Also, choose a reasonable number of times to post. For me, that was once weekly. As a reader, I actually get annoyed by blogs that post too often. I end up not reading their stuff as much because it's always in my face (I'm looking at you: Wendig and Scalzi). Put something out often enough that we don't forget you exist but not so constantly that we get sick of you.

    Hope that helps!

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been forgetting to do things like eat and sleep lately, too. There just isn't enough time for pesky stuff like that whenever creative work needs to be done, LOL. Anyway, hope your revisions stop being so troublesome for you, and that you have an excellent trip back home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your trip!

    My advice: just start. Contrary to some of the advice I've read above, I didn't have a theme when I started - I still don't. I agree with everyone who says to go out and comment on other blogs first. No one will just turn up at a new blog, but they'll definitely return visits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lived in FL for a bit and thought I would love it. I did not. I hope you have a great week at home!!!! And good luck with revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I love Florida. Guess it's not for everyone--but it may also depend on the area where you settle.

    So beginning bloggers: Find a regular blog hop for instant friends. Develop memes--according to how you want to brand yourself. Set a schedule and establish a blog where people can contact you, learn about you, and one that has your face/bio on the very opening page.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comeback home!
    ---------------------
    I'm working in the thay man hinh xiaomi. It's amazing

    ReplyDelete
  17. The secret to blogging is to read read read and then you'll have no shortage of things to write about :)

    ReplyDelete